Idle-Problem From Hell -- SOLVED!

On Dec 30 2007, 4:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
I hope you remember the story. (If not, you can refresh your memory
below.) You will NOT believe what the cause of the problem was! You know those two little screws that attach the ignition module to the distributor, they take a Torx wrench to tighten/loosen? The one closest to my thermostat housing had worked its way lose. How, why I don't know. While hunting/searching, again, all my vacuum lines for leaks, I just happened to notice the little screw lying in the [screw's] deep mounting hole in the ignition module. The screw was blocked from completely falling out because the end of it would bump into the thermostat housing. I twisted the distributor around and tightened the screw, not knowing what effect it would have on the car. Then took the car for a little test drive afterwards and the idle problem didn't appear, and it has been a couple weeks now and the car has run perfectly -- not a single hiccup in the idle. Just a coincidence? At this point, I'd bet the house it's not.
Okay, now who's going to claim these screws being loose was their second guess? :-)
Patrick

It makes sense because the module needs to be tight against the distributor to keep it from over heating. It would probably heat up and then fail and cool off and work correctly.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

So that's their purpose? Do you think it could have caused the ignition module any damage... do you think it would be worth replacing now?
Patrick

Thanks for that info, that is a new one.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I thought about that after reading, it may have limited the life some but if it seems to work now don't worry about it. Just keep it in mind, because if that symptom returns mysteriously at a later point and neither screw is loose, you probably need to replace it at that point.
--
"Yah know I hate it when forces gather in ma' fringe..." - Sheogorath

"Daytime television sucked 20 years ago,
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It probably didn't help it any. I would buy one and keep it in the car with some tools to replace it. When mine went out it died instantly and the car was stone cold dead until it was replaced.

Michael Johnson wrote:

I do. I have ever since the one on the 88 Marquis died that way. Went out to leave and no start. I keep a module and the little special tool from one of the catalog vendors to change it. I remember he said torx but on the 88 Merc and on my 89 Mustang it's a hex head screw and you almost have to have this tool or a modified nut driver to get them.
--
"Yah know I hate it when forces gather in ma' fringe..." - Sheogorath

"Daytime television sucked 20 years ago,

You're correct. It is a hex head. And I already have the special tool. I bought it after the ignition module went out in my ol' 5-oh LX.
Patrick

where do you get the special tool? or can you make one ?
Al Lergy wrote:

I got mine at 5.0 resto
--
"Yah know I hate it when forces gather in ma' fringe..." - Sheogorath

"Daytime television sucked 20 years ago,

I purchased mine from some auto parts store years ago. The hex head is just long enough to reach into the ignition module hole, and it's attached to a fat little wheel with finger grip edges, then a short narrower 6-sided portion you can use a wrench on, and that tapers down to a torx hole at the end. Total length is about 2 inches. It's slick! Whoever designed it, did their homework.
Patrick
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Pfffff, I knew it the whole time. I was just waiting to see if you could find it yourself....