"King Of The Road" Returns With 540HP

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID 07703300380
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe Ford should think about providing GT500s in a decent quantity to keep the prices reasonable instead of offering another high priced Mustang variant. This is why Ford is loosing me as a loyal customer. They just don't get it and, frankly, I really don't care if they go bankrupt. It is looking more and more like they lied to us about the production numbers of the GT500. The only reason they are coming out with this car is to keep the prices of Cobras in the stratosphere and out of reach for most Mustang enthusiasts. Screw them. When is the Camaro due to hit the showroom floor? Maybe they want my money and not an arm and a leg too.
Michael Johnson wrote:

Send thousands of "Clones" to the streets, maybe the "got to have" would die off for these people who are paying top dollar.

I hate to say "I told you so", but...

Exactly. More "limited production" stuff. Just what we need. NOT!

not

Indeed. The next few years should prove very interesting. Lots of stuff happening - Chrysler's impending sale, Ford/GM's impending doom, Toyota about to mop up the domestic truck market, and vehicles like the Camaro and Challenger about to make an appearance.
Joe wrote:

Ahhhh.... go ahead. You deserve it! ;)

This is just a blatant move to keep prices up. I didn't mind them getting ridiculous money for the first run of GT500s but this shows that they planned to gouge the first buyers and then manipulate the product line to keep it going. Like I said, screw them. I give Ford a 50/50 chance, at best, of surviving another 5-10 years without being some other car brands bitch (i.e. controlled by another entity). If that happens I won't shed one tear for them. Considering the greed of the UAW and the stupidity of Ford's management they deserve whatever they get.

I'm definitely going to look at all options when it comes time to buy. Right now I have zero loyalty left for Ford's vehicles. We have bought nothing but Fords for the last 15+ years with the exception of one Nissan (240SX convertible). The Nissan was just an impulse buy from a guy in the neighborhood.
My wife wants a new SUV around the first of the year and we are about 90% sure it will be a Toyota. They make good vehicles that have great resale value and I personally know a guy that owns two Toyota dealerships so getting a good price and excellent service will be a given. When I turn to the Dark Side you know Ford is in deep shit.

"I told you so!" :)

I'm right with you.

Given today's economy, I have to consider every brand. Brand loyalty is simply being shortsighted IMO.

I hear you, Michael. I'm in the same boat, in that I'm seriously considering another truck, and the Ram was my number one choice until I looked at the Tundra in depth. At the car show last week, I sat in all four trucks (F150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra), and priced them with top-of- the-line engines. The clear theoretical winner was the Toyota followed up by the Ram. I didn't like the Ford's interior, and the Chevy was priced out of this world.
in

GM is on the upswing. They're going to make it. Ford on the other hand... I think Mike nailed the odds when he said a 50/50 survival rate.
Ford has continued to do some stupid stuff. Most recent case in point, their new tall wagon, they removed the show version's clam- shell rear doors and then named the vehicle the "Flex".

I thought it was interesting C&D rated the new Silverado #1 and the new Toyota pickup #2. When was the last time you saw a GM product beat a brand new Toyota?

I have a feeling the new Challenger will be overpriced and overweight. And I think if GM sweats the small details the Camaro will be an awesome pony car.
Patrick
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If it doesn't turn out to be a FWD I4/V6 car like they've done with most of the classic nameplates... ;)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in wrote:

Have you been hiding under a rock? Its RWD drivetrain has been plastered all over the Internet...

Note the ';)'. just making a joke at GM's habbit of putting classic nameplates on FWD cars...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Some of their divisions may not - this merits watching.

Agreed.
This wasn't at the show last weekend, but from what I've seen on the Internet it's ridiculous.

I don't know what they based the test on, but the Tundra wipes up the Silverado hands down IMO. I checkout out all the full size trucks last week, and the 6.0 Silverado 4-door was about $4000 more than a comparable Tundra. The Tundra's got the most powerful engine, more standard features, and tons more room in the back seat.

It'll certainly be a formidable competitor to the Mustang if they price it right. The Mustang GT is still a helluva bargain.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in
<snip>

Patrick, check this out: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId 9281
Forgot to include it in the last post...
<snip>

Joe wrote:

Here's what really impressed me with the Tundra:
"It's spectacular, delivering its test-topping 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque in an effortless, silken flood, hurling the Tundra to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds and through the quarter-mile in a remarkable 14.8 seconds at 93.7 mph."
Going 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and running the 1/4 mile in 14.8 seconds!

mph."
And it weighs well over 5000 lb. to boot. The six-speed tranny is also nice. The only thing I'm wary of is that it's a whole new truck and a whole new drivetrain. Next year should tell a better story of how this truck fares against the competition.
Joe wrote:

If it were a DC, Ford or Chevy that might be a concern. The Tundra has been around for a while and I'm sure much of the old trucks are tweaked and migrated to the new one. Toyota is good about making a vehicle ready for production. It is one of the main reasons they are kicking Ford, GM and Chrysler's asses.

Note: Ford plans to build 1,000 "KR's this year and the number of regular GT500s was supposed to be around 10,000 with no set end number.
Production numbers for the '68 version: GT500 Fastback 1,140 units, GT500 Convertible 402 units, GT500KR Fastback 933 units, GT500KR Convertible 318 units.
Patrick
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Has Ford made available the running production number for the GT500? I'm curious to know how many have actually been shipped to dealers.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

customer.
the
The old vs. new production numbers aren't the issue; it's Ford not making these new cars available to the general public. I'd love to see real production and sales numbers for the GT500...

Exactly. In all my reading on mustangs I've never heard of there being an availability issue for the shelby mustangs and huge dealer mark ups. Apparently when they made only 1,000 that's because there were only a 1,000 buyers unless it was a model that was there just to make a racing quota. Remember, the there are 1970 shelby mustangs that were LEFT OVER 69s. There was a lot more to choose from and considerably fewer people in the market back then.

I do tend to wonder how many have actually been made as well.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it.

And I've seen more of those in the flesh than I have new GT500s.