Latemodel Restoration (5.0 Resto) and the headlight caper...

Ok.. so... without checking here first, I went and ordered a set of headlights for my LX coupe. I *really* need headlights... the old ones are nasty and fogged up. Next to impossible to see anything at night with the headlights on, even high beam.

Before getting them in, I read something here about their quality, but I figured, eh, they're already on the way, so why not just let them get here and I'll see for myself.

They show up, I take them out of the boxes, all looks good. They look like the stock pieces and I'm not anticipating any problems. I ordered the complete set with the adjusters and seals for the headlights as mine were totally shot and I didn't feel like removing the adjusters from my old lenses.

I put the headlight lens in without removing the other two lenses. Tight fit in, but seemed to fit in ok.... until I pushed it back completely against the housing. One bottom corner sat way too far in to look even remotely normal.

*sigh*

I take it back out, and for kicks, try to swap the turn signal (inside) lens. If the headlight would have been in, I would have probably broken the thing trying to tighten the nuts down, as when they were on and snug, the lens sat probably a half inch closer to the headlight than the original lens did, and it showed at the side facing the bumper cover.

I removed the marker lens for kicks. The car has a little dent in the fender but the bumper cover is just a little scratched, the original lens is still intact and not cracked. It fits well. The replacement hung off of the fender just a bit on the top. Not overly annoying, and I could probably live with it, but the point is that it does not fit. Better than miserable doesn't say a whole lot.

I've sent them e-mail this evening offering to send pictures and requesting some sort of assistance. I've heard plenty of complaints about this particular product. I'm just hoping that they'll take them back and give me my $200 back.

I'd drive the car down there and see if *they* could put them on correctly if I had to. Hopefully I don't have to do that though. Has anyone here had experience with having them take back a set of lenses?

JS

Reply to
JS

When I needed my headlights replaced I just bought the front parts from and online Ford Parts place. Both headlight lenses (not the adjusters and stuff) were around $100 and fit like the originals.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

When I installed their headlight kit, I had to remove all the lights first, then install the new ones starting with the outside marker light, then the inside, then the headlight. Doing it in any other sequence made it impossible for some reason... stuff would get in the way, or one light would make it impossible to tighten the bolts on another light, etc. It took an awful lot of patience. Also, the headlights required a lot of adjustment to get them correct after installation. They protruded incredibly far out the front of the vehicle and needed to be adjusted to make them even with the other lights. As far as getting everything into the proper mounting holes, it was truly an almost Zen-like exercise in patience and gentle force.

I still think you'd be happier with another light set, though. Even if you have to buy new adjusters from a junkyard so that you can get a different brand of lights... it'd still be better in the long run.

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

I need the markers too... *everything* is just plain ugly, and having shiny headlight lenses and the rest of them dull and ugly doesn't work for me. Thanks for the idea though, I may ask my Ford guy what he can get them for at his cost. It's nice to know a few people that work the parts departments of dealerships... ;-)

I think I could reuse my adjusters, I just didn't feel like torturing them if new adjusters and seals were only another $30. I'm glad I got those ones now because if I would have pulled the adjusters off to put them on the new ones only to find that they didn't fit right, I would now have to put them back on the fogged lenses and readjust them again.

JS

Reply to
JS

I was seriously considering just shimming and adjusting the headlight lens out, until I found out just how off the inside light was. It's not even close, and to push it to where it is close means that the mounting nuts will be going on at an angle to the surface they are to lock against, and that doesn't work very well.

I put both inside lights side-by-side for a comparison and it's obvious that they aren't even shaped the same on the back. Without any sort of measuring tools whatsoever, just with them both face down on the floor, one lens is obviously taller on some of the support studs than the other, and the angle seems different as well.

I haven't heard back from them yet... just sent the e-mail last night and it's only about 9:30AM there, so I'm not figuring to hear much from them yet. I'll wait and see what they have to say. I'd even drive down and tell 'em the if they could put them on, I'd keep them... but I'd be afraid as to what it would look like when it was done and how they'd have to do it.

Thanks for the info though... I guess there is a possibility if I get stuck using these... *sigh*

JS

Reply to
JS