Re: eBay Email is a ruse!

I got a similar email a few weeks back, but it was from PayPal. Beware!

For those of you who use eBay, you may get the same message I just got that > tells you the following: > > > -------------- > Dear eBay User, > During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify > your current information. Either your information has changed or it is > incomplete. > Please update and verify your information by clicking here and signing into > your account. If the account information is not updated to current > information within 5 days then, your access to bid, buy or sell on eBay will > be restricted. > > Thank you > Accounts Management > Copyright 2003 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. > As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information > about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User > Agreement if you have any questions. > --------------- > > When you click the link, you are directed to a site that is NOT EBAY, which > will collect all of your personal information including credit card numbers > and bank account information. It looks very real, and unless you're paying > attention, you'll not notice that it is NOT an eBay site. > > Curious? Have a look at: > >
> Please, do NOT enter any information on this page for crissake. This was > obviously set up to harvest credit card information from dumb-ass eBay users. > > If you get this Email, please trash it immediately. No viri are attached, but > if you're duped into 'updating your account' to avoid suspension, I guarantee > you YEARS worth of sleepless nights after these pirates have raided your > accounts and ruined your credit. > > Sorry about the OT. I don't want to see my fellow Mustang owners getting > taken by this kind of bullshit. > > Thank you. > > > > -JD > > _________________________________ > JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: > http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams> > > Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail > from those known to me. See my website for details.
Reply to
Christine Courty

What's funny is that the website is "SSL encrypted" but there is no padlock at the bottom of the browser to indicate that!

Reply to
RioRedGT

I just checked out E-Bay's help page (clicked on the Help button) and here is the excerpt from that page and suggestion on what to do if you get a message like what JD got:

Safety Tips:

Be cautious of emails that ask you to submit personal information such as your credit card number or your eBay password. Some members have reported attempts to gain access to their personal information through email solicitations that are made to appear as having come from eBay. These solicitations will often contain links to web pages that will request that you sign-in and submit information. At eBay, we identify these as 'spoofed' emails or websites. Remember, eBay employees will never ask you for your password.

If you receive or suspect you have received such an email, do not respond to it or click the links. Immediately send a copy of it to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com.

So, JD and Christine: Forward the email you received (if you haven't deleted it yet) to the email address above. Let E-Bay handle all the legalities of slammin these ppl with the lawsuit (I think E-Bay is a trademarked name). And thanks for the heads up on this notice. I'll keep my eye out for it if I get it, eventhough I've never bid on E-Bay before.

Reply to
Greg B.

Go to

and do a whois on 6416232.com. Interesting read. Either all the information is fake or the guy s a complete idiot :-)

Regards,

CHP

Reply to
CHP

I'll put my vote in for "Complete Idiot". At least if I'm wrong, no one will think of me as a complete idiot, just a poor sap that had a 50/50 chance of guessing right.

Reply to
Greg B.

[Query: 6416232.com, Server: whois.nsiregistry.net]

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered

with many different competing registrars. Go to

for detailed information.

Domain Name: 6416232.COM

Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE

Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com

Referral URL:

Name Server: YNS1.YAHOO.COM

Name Server: YNS2.YAHOO.COM

Updated Date: 09-jul-2003

Creation Date: 09-jul-2003

Expiration Date: 09-jul-2004

Reply to
Yen

Tellin you what... this guy really is a complete idiot if that's really his information. Nothing like leading the feds right to your door. *sigh* To quote George Carlin... "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half 'em are stupider than that."

Now, if he's putting in false information, that's just a slight deterrant... I'm sure it's still readily possible to find out who really registered the domain and is sending the e-mails..

JS

Reply to
JS

It would be a slick way to get revenge on someone though - using your enemies contact info to setup the domain, then pull an ebay scam like that. heh

Jeff

- Mustang Auctions

deterrant...

Reply to
Stangonline.com

I'm sure he's gotten thousands of credit card numbers, socials and the like so now it's time to vanish. I saved a complete copy of the site including graphics, and will forward this an the original Email to eBay.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

They are already aware of this scam, since six months ago...at least!

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Reply to
keng2

That figures. I'll dump all this stuff and forget about eBay; they've blown me off on important matters before. I'm sure this is no different.