Latest Microsoft Security Update

If I get another copy of the latest Microsoft Security Update today.... I'm going to strangle somebody.

Grrrrrrrrr

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Have you been watching the DSL thread? I came home from work to 110 of the little suckers! What's interesting is that I'm seeing it happen to people here, but nobody on the Buick V8 board replied to my posting. I'm wondering if the virus is someone in RAMFM with all of our email addresses???

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

My usenet email address has probably gotten 200 today, a 1000 or more in recent weeks. My other email addresses I didn't even notice it from the usual spam. So I think it's fetching usenet emails as people read usenet on infected machines.

Reply to
Brent P

My email is altered in usenet... it didn't do me any favors.

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve
171 of them overnight.....Ask Steve, he'll tell you...........Think this one keys off the newsgroup useage...With over 10,000 posts to my user name and email address, I've got a long time before it gets through with me................

Bill S.

John Shepards> If I get another copy of the latest Microsoft Security Update today....

Reply to
Bill S.

i'm getting one every 30 seconds or so, and have been for the past 2 days. :(

Reply to
vince garcia

Read up on SWEN here:

Unlike previous bugs, this one DOES check news servers for more e-mail addresses. No, not just RAMFM, but whatever it can find.

The reason that we get so many copies is that we cable users are, as advertised, "always on, always connected". Still, I'd rather have a 100 Swens in my inbox than one MSBlaster installed and waiting.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Gee, I'm just now finding out I'm not the only one dealing with this stupid problem. I'm using a webtv, and my email storage capacity is far less that a normal computer. At least twice my mail storage has maxed out because of this dumb MS email. I called the tech, who told me that my system is incapable of harboring a virus or worm, but that I will continue to get these emails until whoever owns the source computer with the problem gets it fixed. And to think all this time I thought I was dealing with an over-zealous Microsoft sales rep. :-)

Randy

90 GT
Reply to
Randy Pavatte

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news:seRab.9856$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Guy

I haven't gotten anything in the way of virus/worm e-mail. Don't have a filter, either. But then again I _never_ use my real e-mail address.

Joe

your life will be way easier if you get the free MAILWASHER program online. Lets you delete and bounce this stuff with only a cple of clicks

Reply to
vince garcia

I really hesitate to say this, but I only got one.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I woke up to 44 of them, even with my OE rules in place. Funny how last night I said that I needed to remember to go to web mail first - habit won and I didn't.

Here's an article from a local newspaper about it:

It's not just us!

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

...most damns leak just a little before they blow! :)

Get your finger in that hole!

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

at 19 Sep 2003, Brent P [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:y0Rab.109527$ snipped-for-privacy@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

The latest I heard is that the virus is scanning the newsgroups and extracting email addresses. Which is why all my usenet posts have an invalid email addy with the real one in my sig, but only humanly readable. :-)

Reply to
Paul

It's not all newsgroups (yet) - the sci.eng stuff does not seem to be getting hit yet - I am getting close to 2K/day of this stuff right now, but my server refuses top take action - I just load em up and delete em. Firewall and antivirus don't allow my machine to get the bug, but somebody has my email on something.

Andrew

v>John Shepards>

Reply to
Andrew Paule

That's what I use to delete them from the server without downloading, but that'd be tough for Randy to do since he's using WebTV. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I am getting 100+ per hour. More than enough to completely fill the 10MB maximum inbox my ISP allows faster than I can manually delete them all.

This is the work of two new W32/Gibe-F and W32/Swen@MM viruses.

Infected computers target an email address as the victim, and start to bombard that email address with a constant flow of copies of the bogus Microsoft patches.

These viruses are spreading too. More and more people are becoming targets of the newly infected computers. It is just a matter of time (days?) before we all become targets.

Ah, well. :(

Reply to
Walt

I woke up to about 80 of them this morning. That's about double from the night before.

When I did my system restore so that I could get my Photoshop program to work again, I killed all of my message rules, so I have to start them over again.

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

in a way, that'd "good". Then maybe our lazy ass ISPs that take our money and give crap service in response will get off their duffs and filter this stuff out!

Earthlink acts like they're living in the stone age

Reply to
vince garcia

I agree with that last statement! I did the online chat, and they just wanted me to go online and set my Spam setting to high. Well, I don't want to transfer my address book from OE into Earthlink's online program. Hopefully the majority of their users will have full inboxes and they'll catch a clue! Another interesting thing is that when I got up this morning to 80 or so of these "gifts", I found that only 4 were in my "suspected spam" folder online. Yeah, that's efficient!

I just received two more while I was writing this. Strangely, they should have been filtered by OE and killed at the server. I guess I'll have to go over those message rules again.

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve