limited slip rear - how does it behave?

Just curious... on the late model Stangs, if you were to launch hard, will both rear wheels spin? Or just one? I read that all Stangs supposedly come with a limited-slip type rear. In my experience with other cars, some limited slip rears are set up "tight", and some more loose. Some will spin both wheels on asphalt, and some tend to still allow only one wheel to spin, or at least more than the other. How do new Stangs behave? I saw a new Mustang GT that had one rear tire that looked pretty worn, looked like the guy did some burn-outs on it... but then I looked at the other rear tire and it did not look nearly as worn as the other... was it possible that this guy was spinning just one wheel somehow, or...?

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

They are set up pretty loose as delivered, the Cobra even more so than the GT.

A _new_ one should definitely light up both sides, though.

I've got the files saved showing how to restack the clutch packs in the rear for more positive engagement. (the link they are from doesn't seem to have the article anymore) A quick search for 8.8 rebuild will turn up plenty, I bet. If you don't find anything, I'll gladly mail you the article.

I've done this to both cars, the GT got pretty loose by about 15-20k miles, made a world of difference. Quick, easy and worthwhile mod if you know your way around a differential.

__

John C. '00 GT Convt. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

A limited slip differential (diff) uses a series of clutches within the diff to provide traction to BOTH wheels. This is not to be confused with a locking diff such as a "Detroit Locker". Locking diffs keep the wheels locked together (except when turning) so that together the left and right wheels always deliver maximum traction to the ground.

FYI, the marketing term Ford has historically used for a limited slip differential is "Traction-Lok". GM uses the marketing term "Positraction".

Some good information on this subject is given @

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C with a

3.50 Traction-Lok differential @
Grover C. McCoury III