8" limited slip rear end?

Hello I have an '02 F150 and the sticker says it has a limited slip differential. Unfortunately, whenever one wheel is on the ice, the other doesn't catch at all, leaving me to think I have another one-wheeled wonder. How do I determine if in fact it is limited slip, by looking, and also what to do if it is in fact limited slip and the limited slip function isn't working? Remember, I understand the idea, but NOT the mechanics behind this. I'm a pretty decent mechanic, but unfamiliar with this. Thanks OldIron

Reply to
OldIron

Quickest way you can tell without opening them up is to raise both rear wheels off the ground, put the truck in neutral and turn one wheel forward. If it's a limited slip the other wheel should turn the same direction...an open diff the other wheel will turn the opposite direction.

Us "Old" guys gotta stick together ;-)

Reply to
Old Crow

Unless it has a torsen differential (both Hummer H1s and Dodge large (2500/3500) are equipped with torsens), then it will test as if it was an open.

Personally, I would start by seeing if there was a tag on the diff giving specs or part numbers. Also, if it is an '02, it may be that either the wrong oil was used for a change, or the clutch disks are shot.

Maybe drop the cover and take a look?

Reply to
PeterD

I'm not certain, but if it wasn't working, it would be noisy and you would be asking about the noises not whether one wheel turns or not.

Look on the tag stuck to the inside of the driver side door frame, there is an Axle Code, H9 is Limited Slip, 3.55 gears.

Jeff Strickland