marginal, O.K. or ??? T5z w/ FFRP crate 302

Putting a 302 with about 360 ft lb of torque @ 4100 rpm in my '65 FB. I want to put a T5 in with it. The new "z" T5 is rated at 330 ft lbs. Is my application marginal? is it OK? or will I break the box? No plans to beat the car on the strip, just "spirited" drives in the twisties.

Thanks

JD

Reply to
Jeffrey Davison

It'll hold up fine. Don't let the torque #s fool you. As long as your rear wheels turn, the tranny will never see 330 ft lbs.

DC

Reply to
Deadcarnahans

You should be good. The big thing with the T5 tranny is keep the rear end ratio a larger number than the first gear ratio. With the Z spec box's 2.95 first gear that's not hard to do. I ran a z spec T5 with a 342 stroker on

28 slicks leaving the line on the shift light, and never broke it. Of course I was running a 4.10 rear gear.

There is a rear bearing support plate that you can get for about $75 that is suppose to help them live in road course use that might be a cheap bit of insurance.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG