Mechanical to electrical fan conversion...

I know it's been done often, and I've read many articles on converting to an electric fan. I was curious at to whether anyone knew what the CFM rating is on the 9 blade plastic fans that come stock on the car? Is there any electrical fans that you all would recomend over another? Minimum CFM ratings? Is it even worth the hassle?! I've considered a junkyard fan from a Taurus, or Lincoln LSC or similar. My future plans for the engine won't see more than around a nice 300hp, it's daily drivin, and I'll be fixing the A/C soon too (I've gotten a little soft lately...).

Thanks for the input,

--Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wall

There are a number of factors involved. For example, do you have a problem with overheating with or without AC on? Do you have to sit and wait in traffic for long periods of time? Do you live in a hot climate year round, or just during the peak of summer? Is it a high humidity area?

Mustangs with 289s (no knowledge about 390s, etc) from the 60s were sometimes prone to overheating, though with my 65 Mustang, back in

1970, I never had this problem. Of course, at the time, I lived in Tacoma, WA where the weather is cool to moderate year round. With a 302 powered Mustang in the mid 70s while living in the Mojave Desert, with AC, I still never had a problem overheating even with summer temps well above 110 degrees.

There are some advantages. Generally, this would be less power loss. Since you are not going for high horsepower, and your use (as is mine) is as a daily driver, and unless your personal situation calls for making the switch, I personally don't think it is necessary or worth it.

I will be installing an aftermarket AC in my present Mustang. If I recall correctly (not having the literature in front of me) the source provides a 6 blade steel fan to replace the 5 blade stock fan, and recommends the 6 blade over the present Flexifan (which may be another option for you).

As for CFMs... I'd recommend browsing through parts catalogs such as Jegs

1-800-345-4545 or Summit
1-800-2303030 where you will f>I know it's been done often, and I've read many articles on converting to an

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I guess a little more info would be good! '88 5.0L No real problems as of yet, but did seem to fluctuate in the water temp with the A/C when it worked. I think it was just the gauge though as I recently replaced the voltage thingy (I know, real scientific) on the back of the cluster. I live in GA, moderate to high temps, miserable humidity, and yep, I play in traffic a couple hours everyday!

Thanks for the help Spike!

--Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wall

Ever hear of a place called Unadilla? Some friends of mine owned the gas station. Had a BIG celebration when they got the second pump.... LOL.

Seriously, you can add the fan if you want. Or you can wait and see if you have a problem which requires it. I'd sure wait and see.

If you don't need it, you can always put the money toward something you do need.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

If you are considering going the electric fan route I would highly recommend going with the 130 amp 3G alternator upgrade. The stock alternators can hardly keep up with a stock, no load system as it is. This will provide an adequate charging system to power the extra load. It's also nice knowing you won't have to worry about extinguishing flames from your original when it decides to go.

Tim (Musttanguy)

Musttanguy

Yep! I've already got that one taken care of. Well, it's sitting in the floorboard for the past week waiting for this weekend to be installed! With just a small aftermarket stereo, MSD, and fog lights, I've eaten 3 stock alternators in the past couple years. Decided it was time to do it right for a change!

Reply to
Christopher Wall

Isn't that in the neighborhood of Americus, Valdosta, and Midway area of the state? I think I've seen a sign for it, once...LOL

Reply to
Christopher Wall

If you saw the sign.... you missed it.... : )

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Interactive technologies has a nice kit that uses the original fan shroud.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]