Mobil 1 0W-20?

Hello, I have another thread on a similar subject, but wanted to ask a question regarding feedback on Mobil 1 0W-20 specifically. I have a '04 Ford Escape XLT, with a 3.0L Duratec V6 with 2700 miles. Ford recommends Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic. It appears that Mobil 1

0W-20 is recommended for "Ford & Honda" engines that use 5W-20, as they don't appear to have an actual 5W-20 oil.

Has anybody been using this oil with this engine with good results??? I wasn't how long they have had this oil on the market.

I appreciate all feedback on this...

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Szilagyi

||Hello, ||I have another thread on a similar subject, but wanted to ask a ||question regarding feedback on Mobil 1 0W-20 specifically. I have a ||'04 Ford Escape XLT, with a 3.0L Duratec V6 with 2700 miles. Ford ||recommends Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic. It appears that Mobil 1 ||0W-20 is recommended for "Ford & Honda" engines that use 5W-20, as ||they don't appear to have an actual 5W-20 oil. || ||Has anybody been using this oil with this engine with good results??? ||I wasn't how long they have had this oil on the market. || ||I appreciate all feedback on this...

I have a case of Syntec 0W-20, but I've been afraid to use it :) Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I am using Mobile 1 0w20 in my 04 Honda Odyssey with no problem...

Reply to
Woody

You can use it. As long at it is a 20 weight oil you can use it. The 5w or 0w is the winter grade or the flow caracteristics of the oil when cold but as long at the -20 is well, 20 it still acts like a SAE20 oil when warm and protects like it warm or cold. So there for 0w-20 will flow better in sub 0 temps than 5w-20 but they both offer the 20 protection. Besides ford can not void your warenty for not using 5w-20 unless they offer the oil free of charge. this is a Law and it will stand. For example. I own a diesel that calls for 15W-40 oil i use AMSoil Synthetic

5w-30 3000 oil and have 378,850 miles on it. :)
Reply to
Brian

So, if I use 90W gear oil instead of 5W-20 Ford can't void my warranty?

You are confused about the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. The gist of the law is that Ford cannot require you to use Ford branded oil to keep the warranty in force, unless they supply the oil for free.

But Ford can certainly deny warranty coverage if you use improper oil, and that includes using the wrong viscosity, or API Engine Oil Classification.

Mark Olson

I understand what your saying. And yes that is the act i was refering to. Only 90 gear oil is a bit extream and if you put that in your engine you deserve no warenty due to stupidity. If you look in the manuals it usally gives you 2 or 3 regular multi grade oils and at least 1 synthetic oil, and temps that they can be used it. Folow that guide and your golden.

Reply to
Brian

Mobil lists the correct Ford specification on their label, so it meets the Ford requirements for your vehicle.

Regards,

Ed White

Chris Szilagyi wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

This is not correct. Ford can definitely void your warranty for not using oil that meets their published specifications. They cannot void your warranty for not using Ford (or Motorcraft) Oil. Amsoil often tries to confuse people by misquotig the Federal Warranty Rules. Don't let them mislead you. Read your owners guide and use oil that meets the specifications listed. For late model Fords, API Certified oil that meets Ford Specification WSS-M2C153?H (the "H" is new for the 5W20 Oils) is required. You don't have to use "Ford" oil, but using oil that isn't API Certified and/or that doesn't meet Ford Spec WSS-M2C153?H can void your warranty. I won't say that it definitely will, but it can. If you are an Amsoil fan, the Amsoil 5W20 XL-7500 product will meet the Ford requirements. However, also be aware that this is a faux synthetic oil just like Castrol Syntec. If you want a true synthetic, like Mobil 1, there are fewer choices (Mobil 1 0W20 is one).

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White