New to group and had a few ?'s

Hello all.. I am Matt and I live in the Grand Rapids Michigan area.. I am in the process of geting a Mustang to build and was looking for some info.. I am picking up a 1979 2.3 auto Mustang and want to convert it to a v-8... I have read all the posts and have an idea of what I need.. But the motor I have the chance to pick up is an interceptor 302 EFI. I want to swap the EFI for a carb and I believe that I need to swap to a non- ecc controlled ignition system.... Is this correct and what is a good replacement.. Would like to keep it factory looking if possible...

I know I have to change front brakes, diff, driveshaft, trans, rad, Is there anything else? Will a mechanical fuel pump bolt up to the 88-89 interceptor motor?? I want to say thanks in advance for any info/ideas......

"Let the Horses Free!"

Reply to
Bleek600

You are doing this project simply because you have ample time and money to consume, right?

After many many hours worth of work, and many hundreds of dollars, you will end up with a car not unlike a used factory V-8 Mustang you could purchase out right for about 1/4 the cost and almost No time...

???

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Yes, but the used factory 79 would not have the roller motor... Plus the cost is not much of an issue for me... as far as the time I would appreciate the fact that I put all the effort into building the car and not some factory worker that does the same thing over and over everyday... There would be my blood sweat and tears into the car..... Kind of kie that idea that people won't respect things if they are given to them as opposed to them working for what they wanted... If I wanted to, yes I could go and buy a 5.0.. But why not work for what I wanted... Besides I have access to almost all the parts I would need.... Thanks for trying to burst my bubble though...

Reply to
Bleek600

if the engine you plan on using is a non roller cam use 75-84 duraspark distributor with a factory cast iron gear and if its a roller cam use

1985 only carbed distributor with the factory steel gear,as for ignition use msd 6a or 6al ,you can also use any coil but 4,6,8 efi coils are good. also do not use a bronze/brass distributor gear unless its a dedicated race car.
Reply to
DRAGNET

you'll need to use an electric fuel pump, holley blue with regulator would be a good choice

Reply to
DRAGNET

much easier and save lots of time and money to buy a 5.0 intact, for $2k, and dump the 79. at least all the parts will match up.

Reply to
Dave

I would love to buy a 5.0 if I could find one that I wanted... roller valvetrain and 4bbl carb... I would buy it... But seeing that the only way to get that is to either build it myself, or buy on that someone else has built.... Whos work would you trust more? Your own or someone wanting to get as much money as they can out of you...

The motor is a 89 302 out of a state trooper police car.. It is roller valve. It was the patrol car that my uncle drove and ened up being rearended by a drunk so the car was taken out of commission, 50000 mile motor for $175.00 can't pass it up..... Complete oilpan to intake...

Oh yeah I know alot of the people that like to find the easiest way out of things are going to tell me "buy one" and flame me for wanting to do my own work (so I know everything was done right and not have to tear the car back apart like I would one that I bought....) But people like that normally dont appreciate as many things in life.... If I had a silver spoon in my mouth the whole time I was growning up I would of probably would have had my daddy buy me a 5.0 too...

Reply to
Bleek600

Since you have access to the whole car, why not just bring over everything you need and keep the EFI system?

Not to mention a variety of other parts from the '89 from suspension to brakes.

Reply to
Brent P

I second that... I've done several 'useless/makes no sense projects' and I learned a lot from them.

But here's something I'd like you to consider... you say you are going to put a carb on it:

I dont know what you're going to use the car for, but if it's for the street... what are you going to learn from that?

Why not use this project to learn EFI? The EECIV system is great to learn from and the parts are readily available and cheap off wrecks. The harness integrates easily and can be pulled and installed in basically one piece.

And the Probst books define the system in an easily understandable manner... even if you dont know electricity all that well.

And if you start off with a MAF system, upgrading is cheap and easy compared to a carbed system which aftermarket is tending to migrate toward race-type cars.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I have the motor only right now... As far as the electrical system, I am not sure if that is still avail... I will have to check it out..... I just figured that switching the 79 to the efi would be a pain.. I guess if it is a simple swap, then I would be more than happy to go efi... I just hate all the electrical work envolved... I swapped a 97 LT1 into a 72 camaro and I just tired of the whole running wires and what not for that swap and figured that it would be a quicker build if I swapped to carb..... I am still in the reasearch stage of the project, so things might change.... I have the entire efi setup minus the computer right now... I appreciate everyones input and am taking it all in..... Thanks again...... I welcome as much info / opinions / ideas as I can get.....

Reply to
Bleek600

Cant emphasize that enough...

Projects?

Whatever floats your boat..like this:

Imagine if those guys had posted that on a BB

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Did you see that thing twist from the torque when they revved it up? Gotta love it!

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I think in the long run you'll be better off with the EFI. The system used on the '89 5.0L is well known, information available on it easily, it will allow the use of other aftermarket parts on your car as it would if it were still in the '89 mustang.

With the carb you are going to be cutting your own trail frequently and may find a number of dead ends with regard to parts and compatibility. Others here probably know better than me... it just seems that going the carb route will be more difficult one in the long run.

Reply to
Brent P

One question I have is that would a computer off a Panther platform car work?? My neighbor has a 89 Grand Marquis with the EFI 5.0 that is just sitting there......He would off it cheap.... If so what is all envolved in plling the computer... In one of the other replies a guy said that it would pull out almost in one piece.... I would be willing to do it then, plus if I buy that GM, I would have a spare 5.0 motor and AOD tranny.....

All of you have helped me tremendously in the one day that I have been a "poster" here and I really appreciate it..... I am proud to be part of the mustang family with people like you all......

Reply to
Bleek600

I don't know 5.0L's well enough to say. Junkyards should be able to provide the computer as well.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:StKdneRN7PQd1P7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

And it was a Ford, not a freakin Ch*vy! LOL.

Reply to
elaich

I talked to my neighbor last night and he said that I can have the Grand Marquis... So I have a second 5.0 motor now.... I think I might try to throw the Panther 5.0 in to start and play with the Interceptor motor... The Interceptor motor is the mass air and the Grand Marquis is not.. So the computer I have now will not work with the Mass air anyways... But it does look like I am going to stay EFI now..... You all talked me into it... Time to start making my parts list now!!!!!

Reply to
Bleek600

One more question.... What about the fuel tank and the fuel return from the regulator... Could I just pick up a 87+ tank? Or can you convert a carb tank? Just the sending unit different??? I mean I know I will need to run new lines, I would do that anyways though... Thanks.. Matt

Reply to
Bleek600

Probably best with a tank and fuel pump from the junk yard. Probably can get a return line too. If not just make one out of the correct sized tubing.

Reply to
Brent P