No Power Adders > '05 GT Mustang Goes 12.3s @ 112

Yeah, you read it right, a 12.31 @ 112.76 mph.

Paul Svinicki (Paul's High Performance in Jackson, Michigan based lined a bone-stock 5-speed '05 GT Mustang and ran 13.90 @ 101 mph.

Stock rear-wheel horsepower was 274.8 with 300 lb-ft of torque.

Then they added:

-Replacement rear control arms

-Lightweight Wilwood disc brakes

-Weld Pro Star racing wheels

-Tokico coilover shocks/struts

-Bassani exhaust system with high-flow cats (prototype system)

-4.30 rear gears

-Cold-air intake system

-U/D pullies

-Custom tune by Superchips

-Fabbed a rear seat delete kit

-In all, 380 pounds were lost.

After the mods, rear-wheel horsepower jumped 25 ponies to 299.5 and

318.9 lb-ft of torque.

I don't know about you, but I'm VERY impressed! Looking at the list there isn't anything exotic, except for the brakes. The rest of the stuff is regular bolt-on stuff you'd add to any Mustang anyway.

The really interesting part is the supertune. Appearently, Ford has the computer in the new GT Mustangs calibrated very "soft." Seems the computer throttles back the power if it senses heavy wheel spin. But with a custom chip added, it's giddy up GONE...bye bye...

Check out the article. It's in the new January edition of Hot Rod magazine.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Michael Johnson, PE

It is. It's all mandrel bent 2 1/2".

So besides the pullies & lightweight wheels, it's just almost all about the super tune. Amazing that a regular '05 GT Mustang, with just a couple simple mods, is outperforming a stock '03-'04 terminator [Cobra] Mustang.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

That is way cool. But I'll bet that one of the reasons Ford set the '05 computer to 'mild' is so the Cobras wouldn't be beat by a "mere" GT.

Joe

I heard the same thing about the computers. My friend said they had one on the dyno at JMS and they picked up about 40rwhp with just a tune. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

Reply to
Gill

I wouldn't call that "out performing" a stock Terminator. An experienced drag racer can get a 12.3 at 112 out of a stock supercharged Cobra. Also remember that a CAI and Cat-back, less than $500, will net over 40 horses to the rear wheels. That's over 400 horses to the pavement. A simple Predator or Hypertec tune with that will up that another 25 to 30. After that it's just a pulley and tune to 550 or more. Modified Eaton Cobra's are in the 11 sec club, swap to a KB or Whipple and watch out. The new Mustang GT is a great car, but it does not compare to the Terminator. Even on a road course the Cobra out performs the new Mustang. And the next Cobra's gonna' be a killer!

Reply to
WraithCobra

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

This is Paul Svinicki we're talking about though :). Most mortals will

*not* achieve that level of performance from 300 rwhp in a 3070 lb car (112 mph traps!!), track or street. He's the same guy that bolted an exhaust, filter, and slicks to a Terminator and made it go 11.95 @ 116 mph on the IRS :). Imagine if he'd pulled 380 lbs off *that* car ;).

Nah, we Terminators don't have to worry until the boost dudes figure out the tuning issues with huffers and blow driers. Then a new monster hits the streets ;). Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
dtalso

This is Paul Svinicki we're talking about though :). Most mortals will

*not* achieve that level of performance from 300 rwhp in a 3070 lb car (112 mph traps!!), track or street. He's the same guy that bolted an exhaust, filter, and slicks to a Terminator and made it go 11.95 @ 116 mph on the IRS :). Imagine if he'd pulled 380 lbs off *that* car ;).

Nah, we Terminators don't have to worry until the boost dudes figure out the tuning issues with huffers and blow driers. Then a new monster hits the streets ;). Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
dtalso

I kinda doubt this, myself. At full weight, as nice as the new Mustang GT is, even with 300 rwhp, stock it might win to 60 feet because of it's rear end, but then it's looking at Cobra tail lights the rest of the way. I think it's a combination of otehr things. They got mauled more than once by the perception that they were overrating the Mustang and it's variants. Added to that, for a long time, the LS1 was clearly underrated in every trim it came in. I smell Ford trying to build some value into the car for a change, up front. Then there's the fact that Mustang sells without the power. LS1 was clearly a better bang for the buck (motor-wise) for the budget oriented racer for a long time but that didn't sell more cars. I can see Ford just not worrying too much about hitting high power numbers: one because it's the only pony car out there, and two, because history shows that the car will still sell well anyway.

Finally, I honestly don't think they are worrying about "sold"/"old" Mustangs right now. The Terminator era is over, really. Anyone buying a Terminator right now is doing so because they already wanted one, for whatever reason. Why would they care if their new baby spanked it. In fact, I'll argue, they'd want the Mustang GT to be spanking because that sets up the sales for the oncoming S197 SVT Cobra which will be based on this same technology and have even more power :). Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

"Dan" wrote in news:1102375719.304812.224220 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Mustang

Mustang

clearly

buying a

At this point we're all bench racing. Let's see what a chipped '05 will do against a Terminator on a track. I'm sure somebody'll have that comparo sooner or later.

As for future Cobras, Mustangs, Lightnings, and whathaveyou, I'd wait until I see product. Anything else is just blowing smoke.

Joe

Wait until you see the numbers from a Kenne Bell blown 2005 Mustang. My prediction is 450-500 rwhp/rwtq with 8-9 psi of intercooled boost. With VVT the low torque and high end hp shows be spectacular. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm certainly looking forward to that! Michael, do you know when KB will have a production unit ready? Or do they already? Haven't looked.

It seems as though the '05 platform is the best Ford's offered to date. Could some of the pre-'05 owners be pouting already? Nah... ;)

Joe

I quizzed them on it nearly a year ago and they said they would definitely have an '05 kit. KB takes their time though because they make sure the kit is complete and well thought out. If they got 400 rwhp from the 2-valve engines the 3-valves should be very impressive.

Having seen the '05 Mustang GT's performance I'm curious to see what they do with the upcoming Cobra.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Whipple has already "published" their numbers for the 5.4, 24 valve motor and they have the kit on the 4.6 right now. Not for sale, that I know of.

Vortech, Paxton, and ATI all showed off centri kits at SEMA and Saleen has their own roots kit. However, I know they all (Whipple included) have had issues with tuning the three processors on the new setup. I think most of this involves long term drivability because I know the S197 SVT Cobra test mule with the 5.4, 24 valve, supercharged has been rolling on the road for over a year now. Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

experienced

Mike,

I agree this modded '05 GT is on par with a stock Terminator. And yeah, we already know the Terminator can pump out some really sick numbers when you throw a few tweaks at it. But isn't it amazing that this lightly modded GT isn't even S/C'd and it's running the same numbers as the blown Cobra.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

computers.

terminator

Reply to
NoOption5L

experienced

Mike,

I agree this modded '05 GT is on par with a stock Terminator. And yeah, we already know the Terminator can pump out some really sick numbers when you throw a few tweaks at it. But isn't it amazing that this lightly modded GT isn't even S/C'd and it's running the same numbers as the blown Cobra.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

computers.

terminator

Reply to
NoOption5L

mauled

"sold"/"old"

Whipple has already "published" their numbers for the 5.4, 24 valve motor and they have the kit on the 4.6 right now. Not for sale, that I know of.

Vortech, Paxton, and ATI all showed off centri kits at SEMA and Saleen has their own roots kit. However, I know they all (Whipple included) have had issues with tuning the three processors on the new setup. However, Ford has had the 5.4, 24 valve, supercharged in the S197 SVT Cobra test mule for over a year now so the tuning issues, I believe, revolve around long term drivability and the other non-power related, but important stuff :). Dan

2003 Covra convertible With some stuff and things