NOS System Idea

We're playing around w/ the idea at my company to create a NOS controller system.

Basically here's how it'd work....want some input from ya'll if you think it's good/bad/useless/great/whatever. :)

One thing I noticed with all conventional system is that 1 injector at the throttle body. While I suppose it works, nobody can tell me there's an even distribution here between all cylinders. First come first serve is gonna apply. Meaning that the 1st cylinders by the TB will get the most, the cylinders at the opposite end get the least.

Here's the system that I'm thinking about...

Have 4, 6 or 8 individual injectors..and run them to the individual air paths in the intake of each cylinder. That way, giving each cylinder an individual shot.

This shot would be synced to the fuel injector pulses for that cylinder. (or if the distance from the injection point to the valve is too great, could be synced to the prior cylinders pulse, giving it time to travel).

Also, via the RPM signal, the amount of nos per cylinder could be variably controlled, allowing to slowly ramp it up and down instead of the normal brutal on/off.

Basically, it'd work just like a fuel injector...just not injecting fuel. :) Not sure though if those injectors used for NOS can handle switching like that? Anyone know?

What this may also allow....is the ability to have it from idle on up. Since the controller would be aware of engine rpms, and has precise control over the injectors, it could precisely measure the amounts injected...(none at idle). Then as the rpms rise, ramp the amounts up..until full amount at the preset rpm where you'd hit it anyway.

Obviously the benefits of that are pretty evident. :) Not sure though how safe that would be...BUT...that's why I'm asking. :)

Electronics wise....we could easily implement this...

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

Stephan Rose opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do you work for a defense contractor?

SOunds like it...

Just dump the shit in there and hang on... that's why they call it a "SHOT"

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

LOL no I don't.

Electronics engineering company :)

Well see that's my point. A bit more precision there would be nice. :)

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

snip

I'm not a nitrous expert or anything, but isn't this the idea behind Direct Port nitrous injection?

snip

Reply to
paul-1993

Yep, that's basically what it is.

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

Well the principle behind it is...we make the controller....someone else spends their cash on it & the system & pistons. :)

Provided that the solenoids can handle it...designing the elctronics is no problem. Writing some windows software for it that allows to tune the system is no problem, hell can even have real-time communication and feedback for tuning. I do this stuff for a living day in & out....just generally not on car NOS systems. :)

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

It's a good idea, but I wonder what would be gained from it. I would think that you could maybe push the envelope a little more as you would not have false metering due to pocketting of fuel and nitrous. Safety in extreme applications is the only real advantage I see in such a system, but I am not an expert.

Maybe a kind of a plate system with individually switchable cylinder nozzles...It would be kind of neat...

I would talk to Holey (They own NOS) about it...they might be interested in giving you some test equipment...

2 cents...

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Sounds like what I do for a hobby, just generally not on car NOS systems either. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS