Nostalgia nuts won't save Ford, or GM

Niche marketing isn't a bad idea, but selling 20k or 10k of a product just does not make much money. And trying to amortize a several billion dollar development cost cannot be done this way. Which is why I was astonished when I heard Chrysler won't offer a V6 Challenger. Lets face it, the Chrysler 300 could only exist if they sold the V6 along with the Hemis because not every body can afford the Hemi units, either sale price or the gas. Like with the Mustang, the V6 will be the mainstay that subsidizes the V8s.

Reply to
rander3127

that is not it. It is labor and healthcare costs, management gave it away to the unions over 15 years ago, The bubble was going to burst at some point. It is not the material costs at all.

Reply to
Chumley

Worked as a light truck UAW assembler at the old GM plant in Fremont, CA for a couple of years until they laid-off one of their two shifts in August of 1979. Was earning $8.64 hour as well as time-an-a-half for OT back then.

-=Grumbler

Reply to
Grumbler