Off topic; Theoretical Hemi question

If I sliced a 426 Hemi in half (no, made a block with 4 cylinders) that comprised the same design and 212 cu in, would I expect the same or more horsepower than half of the 426 engine's power? Or would it work at all? Just curious.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

First concern would be the timing of the firing pulses...... A V8 has a power stroke every 90°. Slicing in into an inline 4 would deliver a firing stroke every 180° and slicing it into a V4 would create a nightmare of vibration and odd-firing. Most automotive cincepts are quite simple... they just need to be examined from the right angle.

If you ever get a chance, take a look at some of the air compressors used for jackhammers and such.... the ones I have seen are *usually* a 351W with one bank used to run the other bank which is used as a 4 cylinder compressor.

Reply to
Jim Warman