1955 Dodge Red Ram 270 Hemi V-8 w/standard transmission bellhousing-RARE-FOR SALE

Dwight D. Eisenhower

It really amazes me how much some people think complete crap is worth.

Reply to
TBone

Maybe its not complete crap. Given the prices some LA blocks are commanding now, a rare early hemi for $1500 isn't a bad price. I doubt he'll get it on "buy it now", but it may bid up to that.

Reply to
Max Dodge

If it were in reasonable or at least running condition and someone had a specific need for that engine I would agree but that engine is just above scrap metal. Even he claimed that it is seized and will need a full rebuild and the pictures also show what looks like a rats or mice nest in the bell housing and the bell housing is cracked. Who knows just how much rust and corrosion is inside of that engine. That engine in stock form is only good for around 180 hp, big deal. When you really add it up, the engine at 1500, then a full rebuild kit which I also saw on eBay for around 1500 more, then at least another 500 or more in machine work and it will probably need a new carb because if it is in as poor shape as the rest of that engine looks like, it is probably a basket case as well. All in all, you are looking at around $4000 to get that engine back in good running condition and that is a lot of money for around 200 hp, rare or not.

Reply to
TBone

This guy's name is Charlie Nudo. He's the same rat-bastard spammer that has been posting his same old sorry shit all around usenet for years. None of his crap is ever worth looking at. If by accident he ever got something that was actually valueable I hope he chokes on it. He also goes by trippin28track and 66fourdoor and about 10 other names as well. Just do a google groups search for his latest user name or email address and you'll see the hundreds of newsgroups he's been smearing his shit around on. Better yet, search google for "charlie nudo". Pick any hit at random and have a good laugh. It's only a coincidence he posted something "Dodge" in this group. If he was selling gold bricks for a nickle each I wouldn't buy any from him. Stay away from this guy. Far, far away.

Reply to
Nosey

Especially someone who can't get the year correct. Her ehe has '55 and online he has '53

Reply to
GeekBoy

I don't really care that the guy is an idiot, or that the motor is all but siezed up. Rare stuff, which this hemi is regardless of year or condition, seems to be be priced on the high side of stupid and people will pay it.

Two or three years ago, I purchased a shortblock 340 for $600, its going to need a bunch before its ever started again as well. Its nowhere near as rare as the hemi.

And while we're at it, what makes a Dodge or Plymouth worth a cool $1,000,000 at Barrett Jackson? It sure as hell isn't the car, especially when two years down the road, the prices have dropped to half that.

The seller in question may be a shyster, but if he gets a buyer and a deal is struck, then thats what the scrap iron is worth whether we like it or not.

Reply to
Max Dodge

That is the truth. A buddy of mine has been doing a Studebaker into some sort of street toy and has been looking for a 9" . Called this morning and this guy has 2 one out of a late 50's and a newer one wants $350 a piece for them. I told him to buy both, use the newer and sell the one from the

50's. Right person needs one for a #'s match restoration he will pay the price.
Reply to
Roy

LOL, really Max, I think that you reply just because you like to see yourself argue. Just because it's rare doesn't make it valuable and there is really nothing about that engine to make it so unless someone is restoring a vehicle that needs that particular engine... Even as a rat rod engine, it's low hp and that tiny 2bbl makes it worth next to nothing in good shape, never mind the lead slug that it currently is. BTW, the motor is not all but siezed up, IT IS siezed up. If you look at the pictures, you can see that this motor has been sitting in the dirt and outside for some tims and it is missing a few plugs. I can only imagine how bad those cylinders are. BTW, he has now determined that this engine is really a 53

241 Hemi which means that it only puts out a wopping 140 HP. LOL, the 4 cyl in my Nissan does better than that.

It is not "the hemi" but a hemi and not a particularly good version of one at that. We are not talking about the "426" here. The 340 OTOH, is a highly desirable engine capable of putting out some serious HP so yes, it is worth a few bucks and when put into the proper A or E body, can significantly increase the value of the car.

That's because the economy has taken a downturn and many of the people with more bucks than brains don't have as many bucks to throw away anymore. Many of these cars were rare (even when new), fully restored or in near perfect condition HP vehicles of the muscle car era. This engine may be rare but is neither HP or even in running condition. Take that HEMI convertable CUDA that sold for $1,000,000 and replace it with one with a rusted out version with a 225, 904 automatic, hard top and see if you still get the cool mil after all, it is still a rare car.

I never said anything different and this goes back to what I said in my first post that it really amazes me how much some people think complete crap is worth.

Reply to
TBone

Wow.

Just....

Wow.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You don't think that Max's point actually went over T's head, do ya Tom?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis