OT:where to start on a custom ride.

I know this is of topic but at least its car related.

I'm looking into building a custom ride. I can't afford to start from scratch and build a frame. What sort of frame could i start with? (Note I want to use a 302 with a T-5 for the drivetrain) I was thinking of using an S-10 frame or a Ranger frame.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I haven't looked into this too much yet and I wanted to get an idea of where I could start looking.

Kirk

Reply to
Mulatz

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:30:24 -0600, "Mulatz" wrote something wonderfully witty:

A little piece of advice. If you don't know where to start on a project like this, don't. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

You have not given us a lot to go on here. Custom means a lot of things to different people.

What are you going to do for a body? If you are buying a kit then you will want to use the frame that the kit maker recommends. If you are doing a street rod, there are a lot of chassis kits available. If you are building the body yourself, welding a tube frame is a small additional job.

Check out this website. This is a way to use a 5 liter engine and not have another GD Cobra kitcar.

Good luck.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

I know where I need to start on this project and its getting a decent frame one which to start building on. Before I do start though I want to get information so that I don't have to do it twice. A defeatist attitude such as if you don't know where to begin then don't is no fun, if that is the case I pick a spot and start going, it may be the wrong spot to start but I'll learn from that mistake and I won't repeat it next time.

is Mightier than the sword'.

Reply to
Mulatz

Yeah I guess I should give a few details. I'm thinking of going with a 32 ford body style (fiberglass). This isn't a kit, I will be making things fit and look the way I want.

There are two options that I am looking at:

  1. 302 with t5 or better for a go-fast car (resembling the hot-rods of the
50's)
  1. A unigue rod that isn't particularly fast but is very different than what people have seen before. example: 392 IHC engine with a mercury transmission.

I know there are a few frame types that people turn to on a regular basis for starting a project like this and I would like to draw on their experience if I can. I could build my own but then I have to get the brakes, suspension equipment etc....and that is much more expensive than using an established frame.

I was thinking of a Dakota frame or an S-10 frame (as they have been used for this before and have plently of suspension upgrades and mods) I was hoping a Ranger frame may work as I can get one cheap.

This is not an over night project but it does have a budget.

Thanks for any help. Kirk

Reply to
Mulatz

Two pieces of advice.

Good luck

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:05:47 -0600, "Mulatz" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Sorry Dude, but if you don't know what kind of house you are building picking a foundation surely isn't going to help.

I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

For inspiration. StuK

Reply to