Ping -> Patrick - Here We Go Again

Katrina's coming to visit. Already had her over for dinner yesterday; she was quite the rude houseguest.

We boarded up, as we heard she was going to be a cat 1 prior to hitting landfall, which was right on the money. As fate would have it, she took a southwestern track down into Miami-Dade county before exiting into the Gulf. Had she kept on going due west, she would've run right into my front door. We got all the wind (75mph+) and Miami- Dade got all the rain (over a foot).

Katrina will probably be a strong 2 or maybe even 3 by the time she hits you guys, so take care and be safe.

Should I make a bad joke about Katrina And The Waves? Nah..

Joe

It's starting to seem like houses down there should come with preinstalled "board up" bracketry. Then you just have to hang your wood and wait for the action.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455

Joe wrote:

Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

It's not good to hear she was a bad girl back when she was just a little Cat 1.

Good to hear you fared okay!

They're talking possible Cat 4/131mph+. The latest has it hitting Alabama/Mississippi state line. But they're still talking the Florida panhandle too. I think it'll be zero'd in around noon tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed with two more brewing behind Katrina and only 3 1/2 months to go.

Katrina was cool. I saw her back in the 80's when she warmed up for Don Henley.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Nah, I'm thinking windowless bunkers made from rebarb reinforced cinder block walls topped with a steel roof. And that's just the outside covering. The inside structure would feature steel girders with all the inside walls being brick.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

...and a door big enough to drive the cars in.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1125113055.430994.27730 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

yesterday;

Everything I've read in the papers say how nobody should underestimate the power of a cat 1. Mobile homes ripped to shreds, 60-ft. trees uprooted like they were toothpicks. IMO, _any_ hurricane shouldn't be treated lightly.

before

would've

Thanks - just a few broken tree limbs and palm fronds here.

Florida

Yes, I saw that last night. Ironic that Katrina hit us at the same time Andrew did...

Indeed - good stuff.

Joe

Now they all come with hurricane shutters. Of course, upgrades are optional. You can get anything installed from manual accordian shutters to electric roll-up shutters.

AGuyNamedSteve wrote in news:O0PPe.874$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Joe

AGuyNamedSteve wrote in news:ZmRPe.2603$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Saw a story on construction like that a while ago in the paper. They have these dome-like structures (a lot more aerodynamic) that are wind-resistant and they sit about 15 feet above the ground.

Joe

True enough. But Katrina is now a total monster compared to what she was when she passed over Florida. I feel sorry for New Orleans... with it now at 902 mb, 175 mph winds, and 20-25 foot waves it'll be wiped off the map. It'll be the lost city of New Orleans.

Despite Katrina's path/expected landfall it looks like we may still get hit with 60+ mph wind gusts.

I don't know how much more of this I can stand. The house may go up for sale soon. At this point even something like Kansas or Oklahoma are not looking too bad.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Indeed. They're toast if they get anywhere near a direct hit.

Then you'll feel pretty much what we felt. We had gusts of around 65 or so. Not too bad at all. I ventured outside after we lost power (totally bored) and it was nasty but I certainly wasn't worrying about losing the roof.

Sure it's no picnic, but it's just stuff that comes with the territory. I'll pass on Kansas and Oklahoma though - I'll take a hurricane over a tornado any day.

Reply to
Joe

Yep, the aftermath is going to be sooo ugly, even for the inland areas

400-500 miles away from the coast.

Well, now it 60-80 mph winds (not just gusts) and 8 inches of rain... so a bit nastier. The extra rain fall will really soften up the ground so I expect some downed trees.

Well, the another problem with hurricanes, as you know, is they spawn tornados. We just had a warning posted a few minutes ago... and I'm sure with our position to Katrina we'll get a few more warnings tomorrow.

Patrick (Reporting live from the Panhandle) '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

It looks nasty down there.

In other weather news, the Seattle area just got it's second day with rain in over a month. Of course, I automatically told the wife that I'd take care of watering the gardens tonight...

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

Geeze, and you thought Tennessee had twister problems!

Reply to
SVTKate

One word: Pennsylvania.

dwight (oh, gee... overcast today)