PING> Paul, Joe, Patrick ....???

You boys still out there? Man, whatta mess.

Reply to
SVTKate

Yes, we're okay. We only got brushed with 60 mph gusts.

That is no joke! I knew the map would be rewritten if they took a direct hit.

The question I have to ask though is what were those people thinking when they decided to ride it out. Let's see, one of the biggest storms on record is bearing down on you -- a Cat-5 storm, 155+ mph wind speeds/gusts to over 200mph/huge storm surge, and a 902mb center -- and you're sitting *below* sea level on the coast line. And THEN the city calls for a *mandatory* evacuation! How many flags had to go up in front of those folks before the light bulb came on?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Boy, you are so right! I cannot imagine trying to stay. All we got was a little wind and a small power outage about naptime this afternoon. It blew over two young trees that we planted about four days ago, they will be fine as soon as they drain a little, we will right them in the morning.

So, how many looters will they have to shoot before they stop? I am appalled by what some people will do in an already terrible situation. I hope that Karma bites them right on the ass.

Glad you are ok kid!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Now looting food & water to survive is okay, but those walking off with plasma TVs, stereos, and cash need to be publicly flogged and then shot.

"kid"... thanks, Kate!

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

What about Erik D? he lives(lived) in NO

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Without power, I don't know if he'd be able to see or respond to this thread. Even if he bugged out ahead of the storm, the entire region is iffy.

It's insanity.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It's a toothpick factory.

Yeah, he won't be signing on again from New Orleans anytime soon, that's for sure. That whole city will probably be written off. I mean even if they can get the land dry again, and clean up the toxic mess, no one will ever be able to afford the insurance to build in that area again.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I think it would be crazy to try to rebuild it. Just leave it there as a memorial. Rebuild somewhere else, preferably on a surface that's a foot or two ABOVE sea level.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It was sinking every year anyway. When they screwed up the way the water flowed into the Gulf, no more silt piled up at the end. The net effect was that the city started slowly sinking. So I guess it was doomed from the start...

Reply to
Joe

It's sad. It was always someplace I planned to go , and since moving here hoped to go within the year.

*sigh*

I personally hope that they rebuild it. It would never be the same of course, but it would still BE.

: >>> > What about Erik D? he lives(lived) in NO : >>

: >>> Without power, I don't know if he'd be able to see or respond to : >>> this thread. Even if he bugged out ahead of the storm, the entire : >>> region is iffy. : >>

: >>> It's insanity. : >>

: >> It's a toothpick factory. : >>

: >> Yeah, he won't be signing on again from New Orleans anytime soon, : >> that's for sure. That whole city will probably be written off. I : >> mean even if they can get the land dry again, and clean up the : >> toxic mess, no one will ever be able to afford the insurance to : >> build in that area again. : >>

: >> Patrick : >> '93 Cobra : >

: > I think it would be crazy to try to rebuild it. Just leave it there : > as a memorial. Rebuild somewhere else, preferably on a surface : > that's a foot or two ABOVE sea level. : >

: > dwight : : It was sinking every year anyway. When they screwed up the way the : water flowed into the Gulf, no more silt piled up at the end. The net : effect was that the city started slowly sinking. So I guess it was : doomed from the start...

Reply to
SVTKate

Kate,

Everyone has an opinion of course, but mine is that New Orleans wasn't that great, at all. One of the colleges my son was accepted to was Tulane, so we visited N.O. about a year and half ago. Most areas seemed to be pretty seedy. In fact, we never had the feeling we were very safe when we went sight seeing, so we suggested to him to look elsewhere for a college. Needless to say, after this storm, we are really glad he did!

If they decide to, they need to do it right by respecting nature, not trying to control it. I say they need a much larger wetlands buffer and they need to truck in a WHOLE BUNCH of dirt.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I consider myself fortunate to have spent a week there with Jean. For tourists, it was a truly beautiful town, and Jean got to take all the tours while I worked a convention. Naturally, we stayed in the best part of New Orleans and didn't venture far.

To be fair, most of Philadelphia (or any major city) is also "pretty seedy". But the truth is that you're safe in most areas. The exception for me was always New York. There was no place in that city that I felt at ease, and it's the only city that gave me claustrophobia.

I'm still stunned to hear that the levees we put up were only built to withstand a Cat III storm. That is unbelievable.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

: > *sigh* : >

: : : cover your mouth....

:¬Þ

Reply to
SVTKate

"dwight" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I love NY. Greatest city in the world, but I wouldn't want to live there.

This can be said for a lot of places, my backyard (SoFla) included. The everglades is a mess from people screwing with it.

Saw something on tv last night about the people who've been screaming about that for years. Nobody was interested in doing anything beyond cat 3 because (a) it would've been too expensive and (b) they thought it would never happen. Now it'll cost 10 times as much and obviously it did happen...

Reply to
Joe

I'm glad to see someone was thinking about me! LOL!! I'm doing fine and all is well. The city is a mess, but lots of things are happening since the storm. I've been working non-stop for bellsouth so I have been pretty much too busy to get on here. My parents house had a little damage, and the house I just bought in Metairie did pretty good. I was one of the very few fortunate ones down here. I'll try to pass on an update sometime early next week. Thanks, Erik D. '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

Glad to hear you're doing ok, Erik. It's our turn now - here comes Wilma.

Reply to
Joe