Q Re 66 PS Pulley Install

I am trying to help my daughter replace a defective Power Steering pump. I have to install the old pulley on the new pump. It's suppose to press fit by using a bolt, washer and two nuts. I'm having difficulty doing this. I measure the PS pump shaft at .692" and the Pulley ID at .676" (.016" undersize). May I ask if someone would advise if this is typical and I just need to use more force, or should I be looking at a new pulley (to fit better?. Very much appreciate any help - thanks! Best regards, Richard Morris

1966 Coupe, 6-cylinder, auto, S/S Corp Power Disc Brakes w/1 1/8" front sway bar. Renton, WA
Reply to
RDM

Sounds about right.... any looser and the pulley might spin on the input shaft. I use the professional (SnapOn) quality remover/installer kit and it can be a real lump the odd time with them. The "kit" that is supplied with the new pump is pretty flimsy but should be good for a single use. Be sure that the bolt is bottomed in the shaft threads so as to provide as much contact area as possible. A film of oil on the shaft and pulley ID will probably help somewhat.

Reply to
Jim Warman
0.016 inches is too much interference for that diameter shaft. .003 to .004 would be closer to my expectation.

But, Can you measure the diameter of the defective pump and compare with the new? That is the true test.

A sixteen thousandths press fit will take one heck of a press to put together. Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner