300TDi water pump

...from Paddocks. about 8 months old and the bearings have gone noisy, which means it's on the way out.

anyone else had one from them, with what results?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:19:41 +0000, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

200tdi water pump, 20 months old, best not say it, don't want to tempt fate.....
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:44:50 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

ordered a new one, they say send the old one back and they'll send it to the manufacturers, and I might get a refund.

in the case of the 300 TDi, it's not going to be excessive belt tension causing bearing failure, seeing as it's auto tensioned.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It still could be if the auto tensioner is US. My local auto electricians will no longer re-manufacture 300 tdi alternators due to too many coming back with knackered bearings due to faulty tensioners. DIY customers would moan because their new alternator had packed up the same as the last one when really it was the belt doing the damage.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:26:34 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, this tensioner is a) not very old and b) working properly.

If the replacement pump doesn't come in time to fit it today I'll try welding the pulley boss back on the one that came off as a short-term solution, and sacrifice the 18-quid-odd that I might get as a refund. I don't need the vehicle off the road, 's a pain in the butt. Provided the pulley can't actually fall off, it doesn't need to drive anything much - the load created by the water pump itself is minimal.

In what way can the tensioner be too tight, though? Unless it's seized and someone gorillas it? The tension is set by a spring, and I can't see that being anything other than too weak, in the normal run of things.

Thinking about this pump, it might have been defective from the start - I noticed it was running slightly off-true, which I put down to most likely the pressed-steel pulley being out of kilter a touch, but it could equally have been that the boss wasn't right on the shaft from the outset.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:12:46 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

well, hammered the pulley and boss back on (quite a tight fit) and to be on the safe side I made a couple of small tack welds to between the pulley and the end of the shaft...

and the f*cker went about 6 miles and fell off again. 's definitely going back.

So now the motor's immobilised in a car park about 4 miles away, 'til I get and fit a new pump - of which no sign today, useless bastard couriers...

Feck arse f*ck, as Fr. Jack would say.

What beats me is why the sod falls off in the first place[1] - the amount of power transmitted from the pulley to the pump shaft is minimal, and the belt should, I'd have thought, tend to keep it aligned - it's got to move at least 1/2" out of line to fall off.

[1] apart from being defective, of course.
Reply to
Austin Shackles