Re: 2.3 tach bouncing around

Thank you sir. I will get to work on this and let you know what I find... Gawd, I wish I was a mechanic!

Brad

This is going to be one of those that a guy almost needs to test drive and > stare at.... Getting back to more basic stuff, does the CEL prove out when > you turn on the key? Maybe scan for continuous codes, anyway... jot them > down, clear them, drive the car enough to get the problem to happen again > and rescan would be one thing I'd likely do..... depending on how the car > 'feels' when the problem is happening, I might check the fuel pressure WHILE > THE PROBLEM IS OCCURRING (I can't stress how important that part is). Is > there a chance that water has gotten under the cap? . There was a suggestion > that cam timing could be a culprit - I wouldn't expect this to affect the > tach but it is certainly easy enough to check..... important to read the > manual closely.... there can be several marks on the timing gears that are > easily confused - DAMHIKT!!! > > Jim > > > Hey Jim, well, the car doesn't actually slow down, just stops pulling, > kinda > > coasts for 1/2 second before it kicks in again, and the tach then jumps > > around. Eventually, if you hold it down long enough, you'll get to the > red > > line, but it sure ain't a smooth ride! :) Thanks again. > > > > Brad > > > > > Weak coil, carbon tracked coil tower, module with insufficient > dwell.... > > > some of these fancy "designer" plugs can do it. Is the car just dropping > > > cylinders randomly or is it nosing right over and actually slowing down? > > > > > > > > > > Not at all.... car is just flakey when you "put it down" - as much as > > you > > > > can put it down on a 2.3L :) Thoughts? > > > > > > > > Brad > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Brad