Re: Are Flames Making A Comeback?

Has anyone else noticed this latest trend? Seems flames are showing

> up agian and being adorned to everything from PT Cruisers to Toyota > Camarys to Mercury Cougars. > > And what's up with these stupid little colored lights (I've seen > green, red, blue etc.) mounted on the hood about where the window > sprayers are located? What's that crap supposed to be doing? Are > these hood lights supposed to "enhance" the under-vehicle neon kits or > something? >

Yep, the last few years I've seen alot more flame jobs. The "ghost" flames are really popular on bright colors, especially the blues and greens and metallics. I like it. I've always loved a good flame job :).

As for the lights, where have you been :)? They were popular when you were in Albuquerque, I guess you just didn't pay attention ;). Lights in the window washer holes, lights in vents, undercar neon, lights on the tire valve stems, lights in the back windows. I guess it's been a decade or so since I noticed them. Around here though the trend seems to have died off a bit.

The undercar neon lighting (and other lighting for that matter) is also really popular, if not mandated, in many of the Australian, European, and Asian touring and saloon car racing series. I think it was about 15 or so years ago that I started seeing them during night heats. I never found out if that was due to the aftermarket accessory companies mimicing the racing series or a street trend migrating in the other direction. I guess it doesn't really matter, I think it's here to stay for a while. It's a shame that Speed television is the only place in the States to see that style of racing. I love it. You see an Aian road race in a saloon series and you see right away where the kids are getting most of their ideas when it comes to body molding and wings.

Reply to
Dan Talso

"Dan Talso" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Recently I've seen these wheels with inserts that "float" on a pin in the center. The inserts are either wire wheel fakes or multi-spokes. The effect is that when the car is stopped the inserts can spin; conversely, when the car's moving the inserts can remain still. Even more bizarre is when the front insert spins one way and the rear spins in the opposite direction. I had to look three or four times when I saw them.

Joe

snip

I guess you haven't noticed the Autozone commercial. I think that they already retired that one with the close up of spinning inserts.

Reply to
Ron Hammon

Yeah! I was gonna mention those and totally forgot. About a month ago I saw an Impala SS with those. Really freaked me out because they were very chromed and when I saw them the illusion was that the wheels were spinning slower than the car was travelling. A really strange image. Then he came to a stop and his wheels didn't :). Nice effect.

Reply to
Dan Talso

God I hope not. What's next; Sidepipes?

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

On some cars newer cars looks kinda okay, if they're truly fast, but on a plain old Camary or Cougar... I don't think so.

I guess I just never noticed the lights in the window washer holes before. And Florida is way behind the times, so I think it's sort of new here still. What a crazy stupid visual mod it is though. Are they fans of disco, or is it their love of X-mas trees that they want all those darn lights all over their cars?

I've seen these other lighting treatments.

Thank god!

I can only appreciate mods that help performance, or at least don't hurt it any. The senseless stuff irrates me.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

because they were very

$6k in wheels?! Sheesh, he could probably supercharge his car and make it a real killer for that much. I like a good looking set of wheels as much as anyone but that's too much for me :).

Reply to
Dan Talso

Doesn't bother me. I like a nice paint job on any car. It can make an otherwise plain-jane car look pretty sweet. I saw a ghost flamed 'Teg RSX just the other day. Very pretty car. PT Cruisers look good in flames too, I think.

Well, for the most part those cars are about mimicry more than function. That's cool as far as I'm concerned, it keeps the market active and lucrative. Some cars do look pretty good with ten square feet of wing on them....some :).

Reply to
Dan Talso

I saw a Monte Carlo in Cleveland Ohio that looked to be a special edition Jeff Gordon car. It was blue with flames that were slightly visible and it looked good (except for the 24 on the car) I am not a Gordon fan but I guess you could use a heat gun and remove the decal and keep the flames.

David Short

Reply to
Acura God

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

North Florida and the Panhandle are 12 years behind South Florida. We have state of the art ricers running all around down here. Of course, there are also plenty of legit iron to offset the ricers...

Joe