Re: c4 identification troubles

So a C4 is a C4 is a C4 isn't necessarily the case?

My problem is this...

I have a '65 six cylinder coupe that does not have the original engine, it currently has a '67 six cylinder but I believe the C4 tranny was from the original '65. Now the tranny is slipping. I got a C4 tranny but my mechanic says it won't bolt up to the '67 engine. I figured it was just the bellhousings - this new tranny was in a V8.

Any help would be appreciated - what I need to look at to line up the engine I have with

And anyone in southern Ontario or upstate NY have a good C4 tranny for sale? And can guarantee it will bold onto a '67 6 cylinder?

Thanks.

Andrew

Kev> > > trainfan1 wrote in > > news:rJmdnf6vx8DYsz7ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@usadatanet.net: > > > > > >>You have a mongrel, there. > >> > >>It looks like you have a Mustang with an earlier than '66 289, & a > >>transmission that was rebuilt/exchanged probably in the early '70s when > >>it was just an old car that someone needed a transmission replacment > > > > > > No. the eng. and trany change was a running change made in 67. You could > > have had either depending on build date. KB > > Ahh, I'm pretty sure by '66 all the bellhousings were the larger 6 > bolt... this I am aware of. > > Rob > > > > > > > > > > for. > > > >>I cross-posted this to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang so the real Mustng > >>guys might be able to help out. > >> > >>Rob > >> > >>hillp> >> > >> > >>>I have a 66 mustang with a 289 and a c4. I'm getting ready to rebuild > >>>the c4 but I'm getting alittle confused with the identifing marks. > > > > The > > > >>>casting number on the tail piece of the tranny is c7op-7a040, if i've > >>>done my research right this should be a 67 c4 off a fairlane/torino. > >>>Now where i'm getting confused with is the 5 bolt bell housing and 24 > >>>spline input shaft. I thought I had read that those should be on a 66 > >>>and earlier c4 where in 67 ford went to a 6 bolt bellhousing and a 26 > >>>spline input shaft. There is a metal tag on the tranny with PEA M1 > > > > and > > > >>>underneath that is C9APABM4. Another number is on the pump cover > > > > which > > > >>>is C6AP-7D027-C. It is an aluminium bellhousing with casting number > >>>RF-C5AP-7976-B. Any help with the numbers to find out what it really > >>>is would be great. > >>> > >> > >> > > > > > >
Reply to
Andrew Croft

"Tom" wrote in news:48ae766b$0$7317$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

You need to be sure that both are from a floor shift car if that is what you have now. other wise you will have to change the shift lever. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Hi Tom, Kevin,

Thanks for your input.

I went to the shop today - the tranny that was in my stang is a 5-bolt. But this engine is from a '67 Mustang.

My mechanic says I should only look for a C4 for an inline six, and not get one that was in a V8.

Damn, had a line on a C4 but it is from an early 70s Ford with a 302.

Anyone in southern Ontario got what I need? I'm fast running out of good Canadian weather in which to drive!

Thanks.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Croft

Andrew Croft wrote in news:230820082255467409% snipped-for-privacy@notmyemail.com:

Get the one from the V8. it will work fine. and be stronger too. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff