Re: Jacking up the 200X Mustang? Jack adaptors? Jack points?

GT-Vert-03 wrote: > Hi, >

Before I go fabricating my own jack adaptor, I'd appreciate it if someone > could shed some light on this..... thanks! > >

I used to just put the jack under the area of the subframe that was nice & thick, it's actually the bulkhead where you would weld in subframe connectors.

(if you get subframe connectors, you just put the jack in the middle of the car, under the connector, and raise the whole side of the car with ONE jack. Makes tire rotation a snap!!! :)

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

-------------------------

Hi,

I have a convertible, and there appears to be some type of "subframe connectors" already in place from Ford. These frame rail connectors don't really "look" sturdy enough to jack the entire side of the car up by, but maybe they are...? I didn't want to take any chances until I heard from some experienced Mustang people first. Perhaps the subframe connectors you speak of are different and more heavy-duty than what my stock vert has. ?

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

Yes they are different. The subs you (we) had on our 99+ GTs were 3/4 length and bolt-in. They're better than nothing, but not nearly as good as full length weld in connectors. Don't try jacking up the whole side of your car with the bolt-ins you have now. I have some pics of the subs on the link below...check it out.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

Here's a link to a pdf on my site that has the shop manual pages describing the places Ford recommends lifting the car at:

Here's a link to Eastwood's adapter to use the spare jack points on the sill with most floor jacks:
Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff on it
Reply to
Dan Talso

West makes good stuff, my

I agree. GW makes extremely good equipment, and their subs are the best I've ever seen.

The bolt-on's are next to worthless,adding only weight and precious little frame strengthening. I alwaysrecommend GW's subs to anyone who wants serious performance from theirMustang.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Actually the stock sub frame connectors on the convertibles are a reputable brand. They are simply bolt on. I can't remember which dealer they come from, but it's one of the major after market vendors. @charter.net (hlherron)

Reply to
Henry

You don't work for Ford, do you?

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

DO NOT JACK YOUR CAR AT THE NOTCHES!!

These are only for the scissors jack that comes with the car. You will bend the frame if you use a floor jack or jack stands at these points.

The following link is a good reference.

difference.

Reply to
Kuta

Why would it bend the frame any more than any other lift point? You have to lift the car off the ground at the sill point to get wheel off so it has to take the entire point load. Are yo claiming Ford created a lift point to assist in a common problem (flat tire) and made a bent frame a risk?

Now, if you don't use an adapter you are risking damaging the body panel. This is particulary a risk if you have subframe connectors which will allow you to get the whole side of the car supported there. The edge of the body panel is certainly not designed to carry that load.

However, the floor jack adapters that allow the pressure to be put around the panel shold work dandy.