using 4 jack stands?

Hi, Putting brakes on my '01 GT tomorrow and have a question: Can i support the entire car using 4 jack stands or should I just do the fronts first, put her down on the ground and then do the rears? I've seen them on 4 stands plenty of times, but just read the warning on my jack stands that says to only use one pair. Thanks, WES

Reply to
WES

Don't know where you got your stands, but I put so many cars on 4 stands...Maybe it's a bad chinese translation that warns they should always be used in pair ...( i.e. never use only one, but 4 is fine.)

Just make sure the stands can take the weight.

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Reply to
Erik D.

WES opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I do it alla time... but I have the big heavy all-boxed ones... not the kind that sink into asphalt.

I've had my E150 up on 4.

I cannot understand how those flimsy sheet metal tube & pin things can be rated 2 tons and the really heavy cast spindle ones only 3.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for all the replies. I have four Craftsman Professional # ton Capacity Jack Stands and will be doing this on the nice smooth level concrete floor of my garage. It definately says not to use more than one pair.

Here's what it says: "Use a matched pair to support one end of vehocle only." and " Stands are not to be used to simultaneously support both ends or one side of a vehicle."

Thanks again, WES

Reply to
WES

supposed to be 3 ton (not # ton)

Reply to
WES

As always, companies put warnings on practically everything due to our lawsuit happy culture. Someone, somewhere, would put a car up on 4 stands on a 30 degree incline driveway and then sue the stand manufacturer when it falls. How do you suppose people put cars up for long term storage without flatspotting tires? I do 4 stands all the time, but only in my garage where I know for fact the concrete floor is level. Just use common sense. 12 tons of jack will have no problems with holding up the car. if working under the car I will jack up all four corners and slide ramps under each wheel.

Reply to
Jimz466

Reply to
Erik D.

I think they are trying to idiot proof the jack stands.... I can't say I blame them. The shop where we are building project 'Runner doesn't hae a hoist and we routinely use four jackstands at one time. Placement and stability of the stands is of utmost importance. We are working on a flat, level concrete pad and I certainly wouldn't recommend the practice for gravel or asphalt.

The factory shop manual shows the ideal places for supporting the vehicle. It's not rocket science but common sense is a prerequisite.

Jim Warman

I've put my '91 on 4 jackstands countless times. I put the fronts under the crossmember, and the rears under the rear axle. The rear suspension distributes the weight evenly. Maybe this is considered unsafe? Well, I'm still here, and I'm pretty paranoid about being squashed. The only way I could see the car falling is if someone crashed through my garage door, or we had an earthquake or something. It does make me nervous when I'm totally under there.

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

I haven't been working on cars for too long, about 10 years. But in that 10 years i've been working on them usually 4 days a week, at least. When i was putting my 5.0 Ranger together, it was literally six days a week. Same with my current Jeep project. And every time i end up having the vehicle supported by four jackstands. Whether it has solid axles at each end, unibody, etc, i have never had any problems. I do have several sets of jackstands (2 pair 6-ton, two pair 3-ton, 1 pair 2-ton) that let me use what size is appropriate and fits best. I am also paranoid about safety so i make sure it is very solid when i'm under it. But once i get to that level of safety, i forget about it. I concentrate on the job i need to do and forget about the fact i could be killed by a falling car. Because i know it won't happen under the conditions. The first time i worked in a shop with lifts it took a little getting used to walking under a car. But once i did get accustomed to it, i could do it all day without thinking about it. But only after i made sure the lift was positioned properly.

Just my long-winded opinion. Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish