Re: motor longevity question

I recently sold a 1967 Pontiac GTO ragtop that I bought from the

>original owner back in 1987. I have all the receipts since 1969 and >know for a fact that this car NEVER had any engine work done to it. It >was the HO 360HP version of the 400. It had 135,000 miles on her when >I sold her and never puffed oil smoke at all. For the most part I ran >Cam 2 fuel in it (when it was available)as well and never had an >issue. And just for the record there were many times that I ran that >car hard. How could I not! Like getting shot out of a cannon!! I know >that car is good for at least 200k. New owner is somewhere in PA. The >key to it's longevity is the frequency of oil changes, as it is with >any car. In a carbureted V8, Change the oil every 2500 miles and keep >the filters clean and you're good for a couple of hundred k.

I agree but would like to add to that that those first 10 miles of driving after a cold start are also important to longevity. Don't rev the car up to far while the oil isn't fully at operating temps. (It also takes longer to warm up the oil than the coolant)

>Jeff Foglietta >
>1967 Pontiac GTO >2004 Mustang GT > > >> This question came up on our local call-in car talk show regarding what >> the longevity would be of a rebuilt carbureted v8 raised on today's oils >> and additives. >> >> In the 60s, of course, a v8 had an effective lifespan of about 100k >> miles. >> >> With the cars of today, that has basically been doubled, and they >> attribute that to superior engine tolerences, materials, and fuel >> injection.. >> >> So the question is: what's the highest mileage anyone here knows >> someone's gotten from a rebuilt carbureted v8 raised on synthetics and >> additives? Anyone seen a classic 283, 302, 318, 350, 351, 429, 440, >> etc., go beyond 200k miles and still be running good without smoking >> like a chimney?

Rein

Forget about V8's and diesels, the longest lasting motor (Ford or otherwise) I've dealt with is the I-6 300 with seven main bearings. I have one in my own `85 F250 with 120k and would feel cheated if it doesn't make it to 250k.

We still have a bunch of independent contractors who bring in their old E-250 & F-250 work trucks for regular service. These are working trucks seeing very hard use and at least a dozen are way over 100k and run like they are just broken in. I know there was one welder's truck running strong over 250k (a quarter million miles!) before it got totaled in the hurricane last year by a tree. Only work on the engine was a cracked intake manifold and a rebuilt carburetor. It also went through 2 transmissions (wore out two C6!), a new semi-floater rear end (wore it out, bigger than a 9") and a number of drive shafts.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf

"Wulf" wrote

I would agree with you there. The I-6 motors were solid motors. Even the smaller I-6 170/200/250 cid. Seven main bearings. Bulletproof! If only I could fit a 300 in my 'Stang. It would spank the 302's. It's just too tall and long.

Reply to
Scott Williams