Re: Ford shifting; Noise Factor?

The Steeda with the Steeda handle is VERY noisy. Some claim to love gear

>noise but I'm like you and would rather not have it. I much prefer the >music or my 331 without singing gears overlayed. > >There are a couple approaches that will solve your problem. You can install >a new shifter (both Pro 5.0 and Steeda are excellent) and then use the stock >handle. Many will scream this will be too sloppy but only because they >never tried it.. the real slop is not in the handle but in the OEM shifter. >This approach will be as quiet as OEM. The only negative is that the stock >handle is a bit longer than the aftermarket handles and thus the throws will >be a bit longer. It will cost you nothing to try it and see for yourself. >Bolt the stock handle on the shifter of your choice and see what you think. > >If you don't like the stock handle, then the next best choice is to get a >MGW shift handle and install it WITH the rubber washer. This will not be as >quiet as OEM but is much quieter than any of the aftermarket shifter >handles. Again many will scream that its too sloppy with the washer >installed but the handle is bolted DIRECTLY (metal to metal) to the shifter >so there is no play whatsoever. The washer just acts as a barrier to most >of the sound transmission. I have tried many handles and like the MGW best >of all of them. I'ts quiet, can be adjusted perfectly for me, and shifts >great.

I have the same combination, 03 cobra with tri-ax and mgw handle with the rubber washers installed. Noise is not bad at all. On top of that you can install the tape that someone on here did. He bought some sort of aluminum tape that insulates and pu tit on the trans tunnel and the turret. He said it helped. I am going to try that once I do actually have some time and I do remember to pick it up.

>LJH >95GT (Pro 5.0, MGW shift handle, Hurst shift ball) > > >> Mike, What is you experience with cabin noise post conversion? I hate the >> factory shifter, but since my 03 Cobra is a daily driver any more noise >> would be a trade off hard to justify. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being >> loudest, 5 being the factory shifter, what would you estimate as typical >> noise level for a Steeda? >> >> Ray >> >> >

Rein