Quality of 04 SVT

I'm considering the new Cobra, however I had a 96 Cobra that was a real POS, mainly the transmission. The 96 clutch required 40lbs to disengage by the time I got rid of it at 11,000 miles and three dealers said it was "in spec". Sure, pull the other one now. Has Ford gotten it right now? My experience with the rapidly deteriating 96 kind of left a bad taste for the model.

I'm not in a great hurry to buy a new car, but the Cobra is a whole lot cheaper than my 01 Vette.

Thanks, and I hope I'm not starting a flamewar. Scott

Reply to
Scott Cooper

I have a '97 Cobra, and can commiserate with your transmission and clutch problems.

In the '03-04 Cobras, the transmission is not nearly the same... probably closer to the transmission in your Corvette.. a T-56 6-speed. The clutch was specced to handle more power. My clutch has 40k on it, and about 10 drag-radial launches, and I don't know if it'll handle any more. 2nd gear synchro was bad at 24k when I bought it, and is deteriorating. The rest of the car is holding up just fine.

JS

Reply to
JS

So the tranny and clutch in the new Cobra should hold up now? That's good to know, particularly after the fiasco I had with my 96 Cobra. I love the tranny and clutch in the 01 Vette, but I'm finding that I need to haul kids now, and my Vette only has 2 seats. How's the handling on the new Cobra? My 96 was good in a straight line, but cornering was vastly inferior to the Vette. Also, how are the new Cobras holding their value for resale? I took a bath on the 96, but I was just so happy to get rid of it.

Thanks for any opinions! Scott

Reply to
Scott Cooper

The back seat on a new Cobra is about the same size it's always been - comfortable for small children, but not much else.

I haven't driven a new snake, so I can't verify first-hand. The old Cobra was GT suspension and more balls. The new Cobra has IRS and a suspension tuned specifically for the car and for handling.

Now, I don't think it'll out-corner your 'vette in stock trim. It should be much closer though. Also, with a little work, these cars are running with Vipers.

I can't speak for reliability or actually operating one of these cars though. Maybe asking the question of how an '03/04 Cobra drives in the subject would give you more real-world advice - the cars are identical, but some of the '03 owners probably didn't answer this post.

Also, google this group and search for anything with 03 Cobra in it. There are some cautions for the '03 that should have been ironed out by the '04's... etc. There was a valve tick and a computer reflash - those are the things that come to mind.

Do some research first... but I think this time around, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Things I'd do right off the bat? Get real subframe connectors welded in at a reputable Mustang shop that has done them before. This'll keep the chassis from twisting if you drive it hard often. Might want a new shifter - short throw 6-speeds (drove one in an SS Camaro) are great.

Guys are throwing exhaust, a chip, and a lightning blower pulley on and coming up with insane numbers at the rear wheels... close to 500hp. So far, these cars show some promise. We'll see how well they hold up. I'm thinking with the aftermarket parts inside (rods + stuff), they did this car right.

JS

Reply to
JS

I think it handles pretty good. Balance seems much better.

Why d>So the tranny and clutch in the new Cobra should hold up now? That's good

Rein

I'll do that when I find a dealer who's got one, I'm not looking to buy right away, but probably in the next 6 months or so. Dangit, I hate getting rid of the Vette but I'm too often having to drive the F350 Crew Cab truck to haul children and I can't afford TWO fun cars to drive. I guess the thing I was most worried about was the possibility of getting into problems again after my 96 Cobra. I owned that thing from 2,000 miles until 11,000 miles and it went from "ok" on the clutch and tranny to "oh my god, who needs the gym" with no fooling 40lbs needed to disengage the clutch and the shifter being very high effort also. I had to put a small scale on the clutch to measure... I didn't believe it either.

The back seat, at least in 96 was small, but I once hauled myself (I'm 5'10) and three 6' 6" friends in that car on a 200 mile trip... it was a little tight.

Interesting note on the tranny, I've driven a standard for 20 years now and I never had one do that to me before. Porsche seems to have the best manual I've ever shifted and at least in 96 Ford had the worst.

Scott

1982 250ZX 1984 Porsche 944 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo 1996 Cobra 1999 Vette 2001 Vette
Reply to
Scott Cooper

See if you can find any private owned ones. check autotrader.com

Well, sounds like something went wrong there. The 03 Cobra clutch definitely isn't light by any means but.. so far it's been holding up great and I have not heard anything bad about it on here.

The front is fine.. I am 6-4 and no problems.. back seat is really 8 yo and younger only..:-)

Rein

ford just replaced the t-56 in my 03 cobra.

now i plan on getting an aftermarket shifter (bent 3/4 fork)

Reply to
Christopher Shea

Rein

it would not come out of 4th without a fight

Reply to
Christopher Shea