Re: radiator flushing

> > which, I understand that a thermostat is really only needed in snow

> > > country; that you can just take it out... Is there any truth to this? > > > > None whatsoever. The thermostat is there to make sure the engine runs at > > the temps the engineers wanted it to run at. Gas mileage, cylinder wall > > wear and emissions all get worse if the engine is too cool. Leave the > > factory recommended thermostat in there. > > > > Erich > > I know that when heat makes all the parts the proper size the engine > will run like it's designed to. I didn't think it took so long for > the engine to heat up all its water. I thought the thermostat just > made for quick warm ups and drive-away. Is there a 50-50 ratio to > water in the hoses and radiator and the block? > > voice from the past

The radiator is sized to keep the car from overheating under worst case conditions, say climbing a big mountain on a 100 degree day, or stuck in a traffic jam on a 90 degree day. That means the radiator provides too much cooling for the engine most of the time. The thermostat restricts the flow of water through the radiator to keep the temps high enough.

I don't understand your last question at all.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

To keep it simple I'll just say yes. When you service your cooling system always you should mix the coolant and water in a large tub before filling the system. That way you know that you have the proper ratio. The way the question was phrased it kinda sounded like the time the guy asked me to make sure I tint the whole 5 gallon bucket of paint at the paint store. Like I could somehow just tint the top two gallons in the bucket. Hahahaha-heehee.

Reply to
Gary

I know for a fact that this is not true. I hung a thermostat from a wire in a pot of water on the stove. I SLOWLY raised the temp with a low flame. I had a digital thermometer in there. The thermostat will start to open at the rated temp. It will not reach full open until the temp is 15 degrees hotter. I repeated the experiment with seveal stat with different opening temps. In between the thermostat is part way open. It will stay part way open if the temp stays just above the cracking temp. You learn stuff like this trying to figure out why a Sunbeam Tiger runs hot. You keep hoping its something simple like a bad thermostat but its really because there is no room for a proper size radiator.

I don't know the answer to this question. It seems reasonable but probably depends on exactly which car and engine we are talking about.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

First off, it's 2.3L not a 3.2, and then there's the 4.7, and don't forget the 2.8 and hte list goes on... So you mean to tell me that I can identify every engine by looking at the valve cover, or some plate on the intake? What if the guy before be threw on a set of valve covers from something else that fits because he thought he was really cool.... A more surefire way is using the vin number to identify what motor the car had in it from the factory, and if you suspect the motor has been changed you can read the casting numbers on the block and call the dealer.

A guy came into work the other and swore to me he had a Olds 350 Rocket 2bbl in his 71 Caprice, thats as funny as the guy with his 4cyl mustang arguing with me that his 2.3L is a 5.0, my 5.0 motor was just different because it was a GT, man the world is full of idiots.

:)

Reply to
Doug Turner

That's right, you're this guy. The one who gets real nasty and can't take the results of his insulting stupid comments.

Why is it I'm not surprised that you can take a hint about your conduct...

you, and then you get

MANY questions, don't ask

Yeah. So completely innocent of nasty and insulting and inappropriate behavior. A complete angel who has been wronged.

Can't you believe the kind of childishness he shows?

Better yet, get a clue.

It's people like this stang guy who intimidate others from ever asking questions so that they may learn. He creates a world of mistakes by creating people like himself who pretend to know all there is from birth. He clearly shows no respect for education.

voice from the past

Reply to
voice from the past