Thermostats

Can anyone recommend a Good Thermostat mfg?

Heres the deal, I have a 195 Stant that is running cool, 190. So I got a One of those fail safe thermostats. The fail safe one bounces between 185 and 210 like a yoyo. I can't find the original 195, since I have played around with 180's and

185's.

So before I spend the buck and the time to change this thing again, whats a good thermo that will keep a steady 195. It seems that the thermo bulb should be non linear as it opens, but these new ones just snap open or have a lousy temp spec.

Thanks

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Martin, I have a '97 GMC Yukon 5.7l gas engine and use a Stant 195* thermostat. I have a Scan gauge II scanner connected full time showing RPM,MPH,real time MPG, and Water temp. The scan gauge shows the temp usually running 195 +/- about 3 degrees. The truck has a dual core radiator so there is excess cooling capacity. I can watch the thermostat working to keep the temp in spec. If you are really seeing a 25 degree range with the bias to the high side, I suspect the thermostat is installed upside down. The "bulb" should be installed toward the engine. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

I just checked a stant 195 vs a superstat stant 195, in a pot of water on the stove. The stant 195 opens at 180, while the superstat opens at 195.

Bum thermo stat.

But the Motorad 'Fail-safe' thermo stat is installed (with bulb down) , and it just doesn't hold a steady temp.

Its not a installation problem , just cheap thermostats.

As a note the Stant Superstat, has a baffle with 4 V shaped notches above the valve surface.

Its hard to see in this picture, but if you look above the disc where the opening is for the valve, you can see the baffle inside around the top of the brass bulb. The regular Stant does not have it. And this little addition would add some non-linearity to the flow so that it will not close as quickly and become an unstable system. I think this is part of their patented Weir valve, I don't know cause I never had this problem before. Perhaps there was a process change because of environmental laws and the resulting bulb material substitute does not work as well. Also the Superstat has a larger Bulb than the regular Stant.

So I'll be going with the Superstats from now on....

Here's the Gates Superstat page

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

SNIP

That's good info Martin, thanks. Hope it fixes your problem. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

I've had good luck with OEM thermostats. Stant seams to have gone down hill in the past few years.

Brian

Reply to
BW

Question about Thermostat. I have a 1994 Chevy, K1500,5.7 , Pickup. What is the proper Temperature Thermostat that should be installed??

I apologize if it is wrong for asking on this thread??

Thanks in Advance Doug

Reply to
Doug

195