Re: Why Do We Need Unions

I think the main thorn in my butt from 32 years of union membership was the neighboring non-union plant next to us. These people enjoyed the same benefits as us with not paying union dues. They were dense enough to think it came from their great employer. The real reason was they were surrounded by union plants and their employer matched benefits to prevent a union in their plant. These people enjoyed good benefits thanks to us and were not smart enough to know it or didn't care.

Our good conditions of employment came from union action over the past > century. > Unions provide the level playing field and the balance needed for > justice. Employer organization's refer to union bosses' excesses. They > ignore the excesses of the company bosses, their failures and their > obscene pay, 130 times the average workers' pay. > > Why do we need Unions? > > Only an idiot refuses to see the writing's on the wall. > > Millwright Ron > >
<cprince8803

Actually, if you study a bit of modern history, you will see that labour unions are the cornerstone upon which our current day democarcies are built. Workers' fundamental right to withdraw their services en masse (in other words, strike), and the actions they took actually led the way toward the "one person; one vote" democracies that we have today.

My 2 cents,

Richard Union president

Reply to
lxixboss

And if the unions were not so corrupt they might still be somewhat useful.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Sometimes the "one person, one vote" translates into "you better vote for the party that we endorse" and also "your union dues may go to the political party that you necessarily don't agree with".

Reply to
Kruse

We need unions to protect the incompetent, lazy and dishonest workers. I used to cringe at the family gatherings when my auto worker relative would BRAG about how they CHEATED the Auto companies by sleeping on job, having some one else punch them in/out, flat out STEALING tools... in fact just recently I heard them complaining that the tool crib now had an electronic lock on the door so you had to swipe your ID badge to get in, which meant the company could track who was going in and out of the tool crib! They were whining, "how will I be able to steal things now?" And of course they all hide behind the union! Try to get rid of one of these guys... yeah...

Unions may have had there time and place... but their time has pasted...

Reply to
John S.

And you wonder why a decent car is $30K

I've said that for years.

Reply to
WindsorFo

">

And the Unions will protect them tooth and nail.

Reply to
RM V2.0

Unions killed Ford and GM. Too many long term benefits, pay too high.

Reply to
hostlocal

I have witnessed companies go under because of union. I have seen the worst people do well because of unions. I have been on jobs where there were people who didn't do much of anything because of unions. I'm not going to say that their time is past, only that they have too much power, and look at the world wrong. When you are willing to see a company go under due to cost, rather than give up a pay hike for EVERY worker, regardless of the work they do, something is wrong. Any organization that feels that they have to insure that a lazy worker will keep his job till he wants to retire, is wrong. People who think that they are entitled to earn a wage that puts them in a very nice house, with two new cars, simply because they show up to work at a low skill job need to learn what it is to work their way up, not just wait it out till their pay scale is high. Today, hard work, drive to do well, and a willingness to learn will get you far in this world without a union telling your employer that you should make more.

Reply to
johnsmith

Until obama gets elected!

Reply to