$1,800 profit-per-car over GM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17437402/site/newsweek /

And Ford lost $2000 per car it made. . . .
Hmmmm. Ye canna break the laws of physics.
Charles of Schaumburg
Who ever said Toyota buyers were smart? Obviously Toyota should sell for less than GM vehicles, but Toyotas sell for a lot more.. Why are people willing to pay so much for a Toyota when most or the vehicles they sell in the US are made in low wage countries. They pay less and offer fewer benefits and do not give a pension to their workers in their US plants that assemble car of mostly lower cost imported parts. I switched form Toyota products in 1999 and have been saving thousand of dollar ever since
mike
.

This coming from a guy who thinks Fix Or Repair Dailies are GREAT cars.
(Or my personal favorite F***ed Over Rebuilt Dodge)
Charles of Schaumburg

You are free to spend your money wherever you choose, but like I said who ever said Toyota buyer were smart? You need to talk to my accountant LOL
mike

You are free to spend your money wherever you choose, I could not care less.. The fact is there are a half dozen other cars on the market that will do everything you expect from a car for far less than the drive home cost of a Corolla. ;)
Contrary to what Toyota would have you believe less than 40% of the vehicles Toyota Motors sells in the US are assembled in the US. Those that are assembled it the US are assembled of mostly of parts made outside of the US. Listen closely to Toyotas TV ads
mike

Incorrect. Over half of Toyotae sold in NA are built in NA. In 2005, Toyota built over 1.5 million cars in the NA, and sold just over 2.5 million cars in NA. That is about 60%. And, these numbers are going up, not down.
Most of the parts for cars built in the US come from the US. Almost half of all parts come from the US come from the US 47%. So, it doesn't take much to realize that most of these parts go into US cars.
The numbers for NA production are from Toyota's website. The parts percentage is from published media reports (http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/domestic.htm ).
If you want to use VINs in this discussion, you not to support any contention that the VINs have anything to do with content with real evidence.
Jeff
You are free to believe whatever you choose. Toyota NA production includes Canada, I said assembled in the US ;)
mike

But, the vast majority of their NA assembly facilities are in the US.
Jeff
That may be your opinion but it is not based on fact. It costs around $1,500 less to build a vehicle car in Canada, on average. Less than half of what Toyota sells in the US are assembled in the US and they are assembled in lower cost and lower wage states of mostly stuff not made in the US. Toyota build vehicles is Canada. Ford and GM also build in Canada and Mexico but over 80% of what they do sell in the US are made in the US of mostly US materials.
mike

DH wrote:

It should be noted that GM, Ford and DamnYourCrapsler have cut jobs at their Canadian assembly lines in recent years to stay afloat. Meanwhile, Toyota is going to add a second assembly line in Canada soon, and I thought I heard sometime ago that Honda may do the same.
Mikey Hunt(er) is just a troll. So is Ed White. Please don't feed them.

The build cost in Japan and Canada is less than in the US. Assembling vehicles in the US, in lower wage states of what Toyotas calls 'world sourced parts' cost less to build as well. Why then does it cost so much more to drive home a comparable size and equipped Toyota is my point?
mike

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:41:31 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

Cause you get a better car that will last longer.
Some of us find that a plus.
I also don't miss all the local automotive craftsmen I had to become aquatinted with when I drove American Junk...
You have decided to waste money buying new cars every two years or so. I would rather waste money on fine lenses for my Canon digital SLR....
--

Scott in Florida