$1,800 profit-per-car over GM

And Ford lost $2000 per car it made. . . .

Hmmmm. Ye canna break the laws of physics.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Who ever said Toyota buyers were smart? Obviously Toyota should sell for less than GM vehicles, but Toyotas sell for a lot more.. Why are people willing to pay so much for a Toyota when most or the vehicles they sell in the US are made in low wage countries. They pay less and offer fewer benefits and do not give a pension to their workers in their US plants that assemble car of mostly lower cost imported parts. I switched form Toyota products in 1999 and have been saving thousand of dollar ever since

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

This coming from a guy who thinks Fix Or Repair Dailies are GREAT cars.

(Or my personal favorite F***ed Over Rebuilt Dodge)

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Actually, the cars that Toyota and Honda make outside of Japan are made mostly of parts that are locally obtained. The Toyota Sienna is about 85% domestic (domestic = Canadian + US). The cars they make on the Asian mainland, Latin America and Europe also use mostly locally-made parts. (If you want to say something about the VINs indicating US content, provide good evidence that the VINs do so, like URLs that support this claim.)

It is a global economy now. Ford and GM must step up to the plate if they want to play.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The judgement of the market, therefore, is that Toyotas are worth more. The comparisons I've made, the Toyotas are nicer cars.

They're made here and in Japan. Which of those is a low-wage country?

Ford and GM are moving facilities to Mexico. Is that a high-wage country?

Like I'll believe you. I switched to Toyota and am saving tons of money.

Reply to
dh

Considering they buy cars which have among the very best reliability ratings, I'd say so.

Obviously Toyota should sell for

And where would that be? Last I knew Toyotas are made in the U.S., Canada, & Japan.

They pay less and offer fewer

Bully for you. If you want to switch over, fine, but don't expect others here to believe that you're getting more value for your bucks. IMO, throwing less money at a less well built & engineered car is a waste. I want my car - a Corolla, which is not exactly expensive, even fully loaded - to get me where I'm going time after time, year after year.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You are free to spend your money wherever you choose, but like I said who ever said Toyota buyer were smart? You need to talk to my accountant LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are free to spend your money wherever you choose, I could not care less.. The fact is there are a half dozen other cars on the market that will do everything you expect from a car for far less than the drive home cost of a Corolla. ;)

Contrary to what Toyota would have you believe less than 40% of the vehicles Toyota Motors sells in the US are assembled in the US. Those that are assembled it the US are assembled of mostly of parts made outside of the US. Listen closely to Toyotas TV ads

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Incorrect. Over half of Toyotae sold in NA are built in NA. In 2005, Toyota built over 1.5 million cars in the NA, and sold just over 2.5 million cars in NA. That is about 60%. And, these numbers are going up, not down.

Most of the parts for cars built in the US come from the US. Almost half of all parts come from the US come from the US 47%. So, it doesn't take much to realize that most of these parts go into US cars.

The numbers for NA production are from Toyota's website. The parts percentage is from published media reports

If you want to use VINs in this discussion, you not to support any contention that the VINs have anything to do with content with real evidence.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You are free to believe whatever you choose. Toyota NA production includes Canada, I said assembled in the US ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I said, " Last I knew Toyotas are made in the U.S., Canada, & Japan" after you asserted that most Toyotas sold in the U.S. are made in "low wage countries". Considering that, I don't understand your reply above.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Mike I respectfully suggest you take a trip to Georgetown KY and go through the Toyota plant there. Unless our hosts there were lying through their teeth, the fact is that something like 80 % of all Camrys are made there, and 100% of ALL Avalon and Solara in existence were made there. Plus, what they don't make in house in the way of parts, some 77 suppliers in the US supply the parts. When someone asked if there's anything from Japan in the Camrys, the host said that once in a while they run out of transmissions and have to get a bunch (actually he said "a few") from Japan. They used to have a supplier make the bumpers and bumper innards, but they found they could do it better and more economically in house, so they do.

Reply to
mack

But, the vast majority of their NA assembly facilities are in the US.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

When auto companies start building cars overseas (whether overseas is NA, Europe, Asian or South America - I don't think there are many cars built in Africa), the almost always try to buy their parts locally when they can. Not only is it cheaper than sending the parts over from the home country, but it is also builds up good-will in the country where they are doing the assembly. Quite useful when you want to sell cars and trucks near where you make them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

GM should be very happy that Toyota hasn't decided to go for the jugular on price.

Interestingly enough, Toyota continues to build more manufacturing and assembly plants in the U.S., while the big 2 (or big 3 depending on how you're counting), continue to move manufacturing to low-wage countries like Mexico.

Reply to
SMS

Because Toyotas are better.

Reply to
rantonrave

You ducked the question. Which of those is a low-wage country?

I don't see any reason to talk to your accountant - unless I need a good laugh. I've made my choice and it's saving me money. I'm perfectly happy.

Reply to
DH

Who ever said Toyota buyers were smart to pay more for a car that is built for so much less, even if it were actually 'better?' ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In the first place the Taurus was a full size car and should be compared in price to the Avalon. The Camry is only a midsize car. That may work for the manufacture to charge more for less, buy it does not say much for the buyer ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter