Rebuilt AOD 89 Question

Hey People,

I have an 89 AOD tranny that I rebult and I did not replace the torque converter this time. On the test drive I found that only first and second works any ideas. For information this is the third Ford tranny that I have rebuilt in about three years 2 AODs and an A4LD the other two worked fine.

Reply to
Frogman

I would be a little tense about rebuilding an automatic and re-using an old TC...... All of the crap from the old transmission can find a temporary home in the torque and come back to haunt you when you least want it too. If it were my transmission, I would check fluid level and condition, TV cable adjustment and control pressures.... likely in that order. There are four pressure taps on the trans..... Much easier if you have a manual at hand.

If you can't or are reluctant to perform the necessary pressure tests, I can only suggest dropping the valve body and inspecting for stuck/contaminated valves.... do not use a rag or paper product to clean these.... brake cleaner and air dry only. At the same time, you can perform air pressure tests - again, a manual will go a long way to making life simpler.

YMMV

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim,

Speaking of manuals, I found this site yesterday:

It may have what someone out there has been looking for.

Reply to
John

Did it never shift to third, or did it coast in third? I'm not looking in my manual, but I know the direct clutch is used in both 3rd and 4th. I know that because that's where they start slipping.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Richard

OK... since I'm full of shit, you tell me how it really goes.... Shit from the converter and shit from the cooler WILL go where you don't want it. 35+ years doing this.... and you're experience is?????

You say I'm full of shit, now you tell me why I'm full of shit....

stuck/contaminated

Reply to
Jim Warman

Joe never shifted. I have never had this trouble before. I was simply slippling badly with no OD when I tore it down.

Dave

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Frogman