repairing stripped bolt-aluminum manifold

I have a stripped valve cover bolt hole on my aluminum manifold on an FE big block Mustang. My thought is to tap it for the next size bolt (from 5/16ths to 3/8ths) or put a helicoil repair. Any better ideas as the manifold is probably worth over $500?

Reply to
sanpablo

Helicoil is the way to go.... easy to install and the kits are reasonably priced... They come with usually 10 or so inserts and more can be purchased if required. The tap and installation tool last a long. long time.

Going up to the next size is usually a recipe for disappointment...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the info about the Helicoil.

Reply to
sanpablo

Another vote for helicoil. Done right, it's stronger than the original thread cut straight into aluminum.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Oh yea, just to be clear.... Heli-Coil is a trademark. Not a product name. The Company makes different types of thread inserts etc. that are all referred to as Heli-Coil.

What you want is a coil spring looking thread insert, not a solid sleeve insert.

Jan

Reply to
Jan