Replacement Headlights on '00 Mustang?

The clear plastic lenses on my 2000 convertible are starting to look like they've been sand-blasted. My shop tells me that this is a common problem with Mustangs -- Ford used cheap plastic in the headlights that degrades badly over time.

There appear to be about a dozen different after-market headlight assemblies for sale on Ebay? Can anyone steer me toward (or away?) from any one brand (or seller) in particular?

Thanks,

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

1Aauto.com is where I got mine.. for a 96 mustang.. $75 including shipping.. instead of $350. dealer..

Your's are $250 a pair but includes turn signals.. Chuck in SC

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

Thanks, Chuck.

How come I see them on Ebay for less than $100? (That's for two, INCLUDING the turn signals...) How can the price be SO different?

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

Probably Chinese knock-off stuff. I bought some Chinese side mirrors and they were fine. (Just molded plastic) These don't look bad.

're 2000 Cobra "R" lights and run $170.00 for the set.

GILL

Just as long as they're not used and buffed out.... I'd go with the ebay ones. if you trust the seller.. Your's appears to be one piece headlight/turnsignal combo.. is that what ebay person is selling?

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

I was talking to a guy at the parts counter at a dealership the other day about this and he said that the yellow is from a coating they put on the lenses to make them shiny for the showroom. It yellows over time due to sun etc. I bought some of the headlight lens cleaner stuff from the parts store for about 5 bucks and it took me about 5 mins per headlight and they are WAAAAY cleaner/brighter now, I could barely tell the lights were on before and now they shine quite nicely. The cleaner (I think) is just a wax or rubbing compound. Try that first before ya start throwing money at the problem

Gumby619

Reply to
Gumby619

my brother bought some of that stuff the other day. we used it on our mustangs my f-150 and also on his police car and it works!!! should would save you some money. mp

Reply to
Michael price

Yeah, if you look closely it looks like a plastic coating that has degraded unevenly. Kinda like Saran wrap that has become permanent, and then cracked and peeled.

I bought some of the headlight lens cleaner stuff from the parts store

I was told you could use Plexiglas scratch remover, but that by the time you were done, you'd wish you had just bought the new lights.

Dunno which way to go with this. They all look alike on Ebay, but you never know what the hell you're gonna get.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

Jay I have replaced mine also in my 99. I put the aftermarket smoked ones in. I even sanded and polished my old clear ones as a spare. They look pretty good. Anyway, I went to Blue Oval Industries to get mine. They look great and wear good so far (2 years). Here is the link.

Good luck

Don

DonTraboulsee

Thanks, Don!