Tired Convertible

Last year the top on our 2000 Mustang convertible started slowing down, until it would only go up very slowly. I took it into the local Ford dealer, they charged me $200, and the top worked pretty close to normal speed.

Now, it's running slowly again. When I put it up, the kids cheer it on, like a horse race...

I've taken the back seat out to examine the mechanism, but I don't see anything serviceable. I was expecting to find maybe a fluid reservoir, or something.

Is there any way for a non-mechanic to put some pep back into the top? Can anyone outline the procedure for things to check? Or do I have to donate another $200 to our local dealer's beer fund?

Thanks!

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

First thing I'd do is clean the battery connections. When a motor runs slowly, it's usually from insufficient amperage availability. Does the postive battery cable get hot when the top is going up?

Reply to
CobraJet

Sorry I can't help with a vert top, but were you a member of Prodigy many years ago???

Reply to
WindsorFox

As mentioned check electrical connections. After that check the physical linkages on the top at each joint. Does the top travel slowly through its entire range of motion or does it begin to accelerate at the beginning or end of travel? Slow movement over the entire range I'd look at the motor. differing speeds at various points in the movement I'd look at linkages the pins or hinges assemblies at the three main folding areas have a plastic bushing. Sometimes these rub through and you end with metal to metal contact. Also the rod arms that force the front section down are prone to slight misalignment and friction

hope this helps

Reply to
walt peifer

Wow -- "Prodigy"-- I'd forgotten about that brief moment in internet history!

Yep, I was a member, back when we lived in Wisconsin.

You?

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA Pathfinder N56993

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

It moves very slowly at first -- not surprising, since it's lifting virtually straight up out of the trunk area. It then goes slowly till it reaches the apex, and then accelerates as gravity assists it.

There is no problem putting the top down.

I've looked at all the hinges, and they are pristine. (This car is stored all winter, so it's never exposed to winter. Heck, it's rarely exposed to *rain*.) So I suppose it must be the motor? I'll check the connections.

Thanks!

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

Yes, and there was a guy with a name very similar to yours who I think had a white Mustang. I got a picture of it, at the time I drove a modded 92 Dodge Ram 150 and we and several others participated in a car forum similar to Usenet on Prodigy. Was that you ??

Reply to
WindsorFox

Nope. This is the first Mustang I've ever owned.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

2000 Mustang Convertible
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to