Self adjust rear brakes

My '71 Grande probably has self adjusting rear drum brakes. Self adjusting means applying the brakes while going in reverse if I remember correctly. How fast in reverse and do you ease on the brakes or lock them up.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

Just fairly regular stops... if they are far away it's just easier to it manually.

Reply to
Brent P

You don't need to lock them up... just make them "firm" stops. And as Brent says, if they are really out there, manually adjust. The drum should have a rubber small plug. In line with the opening should be a star wheel which can be turned (up or down) with a brake adjustment tool or a screw driver.

Reply to
Spike