LW-200 rear brakes / E-brake

Any pointers on where to find the adjustment for the e-brake on a LW-200? I can't find any adjustment on the lever inside, so it must be under the car right? It doesn't have self-adjusting rear drums does it?

Should be easy enough to tighten up by lifting the rear wheels and sliding under if it is visible. I assume I would be looking for a y cable coming from each brake drum to the center of the car with the single cable going forward to the E-brake.

Reply to
Steph

Why would it *not* have self-adjusting rear drums? Self-adjusting drum brakes have been around for more than forty years -- I'm guessing probably a lot longer than that, but the oldest vehicle of which I have first-hand knowledge is a 1967 Plymouth Fury.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm having CRS (it is after all, my 57'th birthday today...) I vaguely remember that the E-brake adjuster on my lw300 is through a 3/8" diameter hole in the outside of the disk/drum assembly. The wheel has to come off and there is access to a star wheel through the hole. Since this is not a service brake, I guess they figured that it wouldn't need to be adjusted much. Who Knows. I have the service manual for my car. If you still need help, ask. I can scan and send you a drawing. You may contact me at Robert_oppenheimerathotmaildotcom

Reply to
Oppie

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:ujBZj.2275$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

Why? I don't know. Heck, I just realized it wasn't 4 wheel disc about two weeks ago while rotating the tires and explaining to my son (7) how to break bolts loose and tightening star patterns.

I had a full size E-250 Ford van that had self-adjusting rear brakes. But it also stated this in TFM. I did not seeany mention in the Saturn Lw-200 manual of self-adjusting rear drum brakes.

I have tried a few sharp stops from about 3 MPH in reverse; didn't hear any clicks or ratcheting - any the E-brake seems no tighter; the car still slips a bit on my driveway.

...that is why I asked.

Reply to
Steph

As long as it does not roll more than about a foot (worst case) on a hill, it is normal for this design it seems. One of the rear wheel links (can't remember if it was the upper or lower...) is a trailing arm that goes to a VERY loose rubber bushing in the frame. I thought something was wrong when I first applied the e-brake on a hill and the car drifted as soon as foot was taken off the service brake. Was just the wind-up in the trailing arm bushing.

btw- this bushing is so loose that if there is any brake dragging (I have 4 wheel disc with abs), it will throw off the rear wheel alignment and eat your tire. One of my rear disc pads was rusted into the caliper and wasn't moving right. got that fixed but needed a new tire before I could get a 4 wheel alignment.

Oppie

Just realized you said you do not have four wheel discs. four wheel disc brakes with ABS have a separate drum brake for the e-brake.

Reply to
Oppie

As long as self-adjusting brakes have been around, I'm surprised that *any* manufacturer even bothers to mention it any more.

Please understand that this can happen even if the brakes are perfectly adjusted, and the e-brake cable *isn't* -- in fact, given your description, that's probably exactly the case.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wait, so if I have traction control and ABS then I do have 4 wheel disc brakes, but they have a secondary drum for the e-brake?

Now I am really confused. Anyone know details on the clutch in this car? It is going to need replacing soon. Ugh.

Reply to
Steph

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:dfKZj.2335$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

...which takes us back to the first post. Where is the preferred adjustment to the e-brake cable. Inside the car? Underneath?

Reply to
Steph

"Oppie" wrote in news:PDGZj.60$0R.12@trndny05:

I don't just pull up the e-brake, I yank on it. A good 7-9 clicks. The car will continue to creak backwards down the drive. Leaving it in gear provides enough additional resistance, but I am sure the e-brake cable could be tightened a tiny bit without dragging and still provide the holding power on the hill.

Reply to
Steph

I really meant to send you that information this past weekend. Too many honeydew projects that took priority... All of the 4-wheel disc ABS systems I've seen have a separate drum for the e-brake. If you tell me that you have rear drums - and are sure of it, I'll send you that information.

Generally, you never adjust the e-brake cable. You adjust the star wheel only

Reply to
Oppie

First off there are no 'emergency brakes' to be found on any Saturn. The DOT does not require them on cars. (IOW no one should let their service brakes reach a point that they can fail.)

The L series had either rear disk with with a drum parking brake or simply drum brakes in the rear.

This is how you check adjustment, not make adjustments: ======================================== Park Brake Adjustment Check

On new vehicles (less than 50 miles) and on vehicles which have just had the rear brake serviced, before performing Park Brake Adjustment procedures, apply and release the brake pedal 20 times. This allows the adjuster to position the brake linings and prevents premature wear of the brake linings due to improper park brake adjustment. 1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist so the wheels spin freely. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information. 2. There should be no drag at the rear wheels with the park brake lever in the rest position. 3. Pull the park brake lever to the third click. There should be heavy brake drag to no rotation at both rear wheels when turned by hand.

Important

If both rear wheels do not exhibit similar drag in step 3, check for damaged or incorrectly installed rear disc or drum brake assembly installation of drum assembly components, park brake cables, and/or park brake lever assembly. The park brake is adjusted correctly if it meets the specifications explained in steps 2 and 3. 4. Adjust if necessary. Refer to Park Brake Adjustment . 5. Lower the vehicle from the hoist. ========================================

Reply to
-Cronus-

OK, not an 'emergency brake' but a redefinition of terms to 'parking brake'.

Some of us were around back in the day of single circuit braking systems where a burst brake line **did** require and emergency brake. Now we have dual circuit braking systems where, if one fails, there is still a redundant one. Old habits are hard to change. Besides there was some drama and excitement in saying *emergency brake* .

Reply to
Oppie