Semi OT: Domestics take another hit in market share

I really chalk it up to arrogance and denial. They have underestimated the Japanese and American buyer's loyalty to domestic brands. They honestly believed we would buy American even to our detriment. I think that mentality exists even today in Ford, GM and the UAW. There is still a lot of denial in GM and Ford's corporate offices.

The Scions aren't really all that exciting, IMO. They look good, run decent but Toyota delivers the car at the optimum price point for first time new car buyers. They give a lot of value for the price and the car will give mostly trouble free service to the buyer. Ford and GM have lost two consecutive generations to the Japanese. I really don't know how they get it back other than selling better cars for way less money. It will take at least a decade to win back any appreciable market share they have lost.

Actually they did for a couple of years. Then they were too busy plotting the death of the Focus to bother with it anymore.

For this to work though it requires good entry level cars or what I call bread and butter vehicles. If they never get these buyers then they won't have then moving upscale later. Ford and GM have ignored car sales for so long I think they have forgotten how to play the game.

I think it is a good move. They need a Thunderbird too.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:LrWdnVv2VKOxMRPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's got that 300C look from the side - the "chopped" look. The front looks horrible, and the back looks like something from GM. I like the

400 horsepower and RWD though.

True, but it's about time Ford put out a RWD sedan with some decent horsepower. Of course, as usual, it's about two years too late.

There ya go, Mike! Sell everything and start a car company. JMC - Johnson Motor Company. I like it.

Reply to
Joe

Sorry but I already invested all my wad in land development. Have you noticed the state of the housing market lately? I can't even start a lemonade stand at this point. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:66udnVyGQunQoQ3bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yeah, tell me about it. Down here it's even worse due to the homeowner's tax situation.

Reply to
Joe

Yeah, there are many people that can't get close to the assessed value on their hose should they decide to sell it. I'm convinced that the only good news for the housing market is a recession. Although they aren't historically high, the interest need to drop 1-2 percentage points to turn things around and the only way that will happen is through economic recession. Regarding land/housing value, everything is ass backwards now and it is not in sync with the general economy. Property taxes up here have doubled or tripled the last five years.

Reply to
Michael Johnson