*Serious* newbie question - tune-up HOWTO?

I've always owned electronically controlled cars, never owned a non fuel-injected car. Is there a good guide online for doing a tune-up on my '68 289 2V coupe? So far I plan on putting in new points, condensor, rotor, cap, plugs and wires. I will set the points with a feeler gauge. I don't have a timing light so I know I need to get one. I am pretty sure that the carb needs to be rebuilt. I've done a ton of rebuilds on motorcycle carbs so I don't think it will be a big stretch to do the automobile one.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks! Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

Look into the Pertronix electronic ignition systems. It replaces the points and condensor while keeping the original distributor.

Here's a how-to:

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

u are a foctard u go girl hurc ast

Reply to
 k¹mñ{

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

Yup, I already have the Chilton's guide - bought it about a week ago and have been reading it cover to cover. Just wanted to see if there were any words of wisdom the group had to share before I dive in.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

Just wanted to see if there were any

New plugs, points, condensor, cap, and wires, and a rebuilt carb, that about covers it.

As for the timing, I would not trust the markings on the balancer without checking first. This is because the outer ring almost certainly has slipped and rotated from its original position. If you feel that you must use a timing light, bring the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke and mark your actual TDC on the balancer with a nail or paint or chalk. Add additional markings the same distance from TDC as the factory markings are on the balancer.

Myself, I don't even bother with a light. I just use a vacuum gauge. With the vacuum advance hose detached, I twist the distriutor until I find max vacuum. Then I reconnect the vacuum advance and drive up a steep hill in high gear and listen for ping. If you have a quiet exhaust this is not hard, but a loud exhaust may cover it up. You don't want to have ANY ping, so err on the side of caution.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Excellent info, thanks a bunch. That was what I was looking for!

TC

Reply to
Thomas Cameron