Questions on new (to me) 1968 Coupe 289

Howdy from Austin, Texas!

I hope y'all don't mind a bunch of stupid newbie questions.

I just bought a 1968 coupe with a 289 V8, automatic transmission, and power steering. I believe it has a two-barrel carb and I know for sure it's a single exhaust pipe out the rear end, although there is an exhaust leak somewhere.

On the drive home (1300 miles) it started overheating. I took it to a Goodyear service center and wound up getting a new radiator, water pump and thermostat. I left the overheating problem and a ton of money in Greenville, SC. :-)

The car seems to run pretty strong, and it doesn't smoke or anything like that. It is pretty obvious to me that it needs a tuneup, but I'm not surprised - it has not even had a license plate for the last two years, the owner kept it in his garage and started it frequently enough to keep it from seizing up.

Supposedly the car has the original motor, transmission, etc. The owner said that he's owned it since it came off the showroom floor and he said it's never been wrecked or had any major mechanical work done to it.

I crawled around underneath and my 2000 Maxima has more rust under there. The body looks nice and straight and all the seams match up right.

He had it repainted "a couple" of years ago. The paint job is pretty but the quality is pretty bad - there is a lot of orange peel and some pretty obvious drips.

I'd like to do several things to it but I want to make sure it won't decrease the value of the car. I am also torn between trying to get it back to showroom condition (i.e. a real restoration) and modernizing it (restomod).

So here are my questions:

1) Is it true that having the original engine increases the value of the car? 2) Will it decrease the value if I have the motor rebuilt with high-performance parts? I want to make it nice and strong - not because I plan on hot-rodding it, but because I want it to last a long time. 3) What if I put a 4-barrel manifold and carb? Will that decrease the value? 4) How about dual exhaust? The stock exhaust system is leaking and I really love the sound of dual exhaust. 5) How about a performance cam? Will that increase or decrease value? 6) I see TONS of options for the brake system. It seems on the low end I can add power brakes pretty easily for not too much money. On the high-end there are front brake kits that sound pretty awesome. Good or bad for the value of the car? 7) How about an after market air conditioner?

Wow, I guess that's it for now. I suppose that's a lot!

Thanks for taking my questions! I can't tell you how thrilled I am to finally have a vintage mustang!

Thanks! Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

A matching number engine is always a good thing.

At the moment no one can answer your other questions for sure, whether mild upgrades will subtract value from the car. The market hasn't made up its mind, but the current trend is towards having the upgrades add to the value.

The thing about restored cars is that they're interchangeable, and therefor their value is the same from one car to the next, all else being equal. So that's the way to go for the risk adverse. The thing about modded cars is, to get the highest price you've got to find a buyer with the same taste as you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, if you're going to keep the car a long time, what it's "worth" is irrelevant to you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a restored 289-2v coupe is never going to worth the costs of restoration. A highly '68 coupe, with aftermarket drivetrain, brakes, suspension, A/C, and sounds will be worth more than the best restored C code coupe. But it too is never going to be worth as much as the costs of the mods.

Conclusion: don't worry about the resale value. It's a hobby, a luxury that you do for recreation. It's supposed to cost money.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

It's you car and it depends on what you plan to do with it; keep it or sell it.

If you have any thought about selling it... you can mod it lightly, but don't do anything requiring a torch. The easier it can be restored to original the better. That gives buyers the option. Save any original parts. Some people say sell them to pay for your mods and such. If you are thinking of selling.... keep them. Prospective buyers will likely be glad you did, and may even part with more bucks for your modded car if the original parts are available.

If you are planning on keeping the car and perhaps passing it on to a new generation, keep the parts... but mod it to your own liking. brakes, drive train, seats, etc. Again, I recommend against the torch.

If you bought it for yourself, and you don't give a hoot what happens to it after you're through with it, do whatever you want to it.

However, if you get too tacky don't be driving it anywhere near my neck of the woods. A 68 Cpe is NOT supposed to look like a pimpmobile.

If you watch the Barrett-Jackson type auctions, modded cars have risen in value, in part because it's a new generation of buyers. (must be all that excess drug money floating around). Cars like Eleanor clones are bringing in BIG bucks while true originals and concours are not going for what was expected. But the market does go up and down.

Best not to buy to turn a buck, but rather to enjoy the ride. That way you w>Howdy from Austin, Texas!

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike