signal control '80

The signal lever on my son's '80 is broken. It still signals right, but once it's out of the right turn it just drops down. To signal left it has to be held down quite firmly. I imagine that it will stop working soon.

What kind of a job is this? Is it something I should attempt on my own or should I send it out?

Thanks

Reply to
D.K.R.

Yes, yes it will. Been there, done that.

A shop would probably charge you an hour minimum. It's about 10 minutes worth of work for someone with a Phillips head screwdriver and the knowledge required to properly use said screwdriver. :)

Undo the four or so screws that hold on the plastic steering column shroud, and the turn signal switch is easily accessible, held on with a couple more screws.

Check out junkyards for a replacement switch assembly, but try and get one that has the same part number. Many '80s Fords had physically interchangeable parts, but they don't always do exactly the same things.

As an example, when my turn signal assembly died, it took me a while to find a junkyard replacement that A) had a horn switch, B) had a high-beam switch, and C) wasn't already or nearly broken. As it was, I got one from either a Tempo or a LTD and lost my flash-to-pass function.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Thanks very much.

I'll send the boy to "pick-a-part" tomorrow.

Reply to
D.K.R.

Tell him to pick me up a rebuildable 460 and a c-6 trans while he's there.

Reply to
Mark C.

Come to AZ and I'll get you one right now. '79 high deck out of a

1-ton complete and a C6. Guy's been trying to bring it over here, but I have 4 engines ahead of it to take down.
Reply to
CobraJet

Thanks again,

Went to the pick-a-part and found the exact model first try. I don't even think it took 10 minutes.

DKR

Reply to
D.K.R.