***SN65R*** When 65 and 03 collide

Hi All,

I have been a bit busy lately.

Here is a link showing photos and a description of the project.

Have I gone off the deep end or what???

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

Yes, since I don't see a link.

Reply to
CobraJet

CobraJet opined in news:080920041217199949% snipped-for-privacy@streetracer.sfv:

guess he's talking about this:

If the same guy... good art, too!

Backyard Mechanic

Hi All,

Yes I am the same guy....

Actually, I have taken things a bit farther than just conversation. WAY farther...

Here is the link I forgot to post yesterday

Please check it out and offer your opinion. I am looking for some feedback.

I like the "Horsepowered" forums because you can also post photos of the project.

Bob

65 Fastback

PS: Thanks for the comment in regard to my art.

Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

What was the state of both cars before the project? Just curious.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@hydroflotech.com (Robert Julian Jr.) wrote

I disagree with the plan to try to make the car look like a production line product. One of the biggest drawbacks of the modern high tech car is all the ugly wiring and plastic connectors and vacuum hoses all over the place. You should make the underhood area a work of art, polish or anodize or powder coat everything in sight, and put OUT of sight all the wiring you can. Nobody's ever going to believe this is a production line product anyway, so what's the point? It's a one-off, the "Julian Mk I," so make it YOURS.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

The 65 fastback was in poor condition. Rampant rust had made all the floorpans, trunk floor, frame rails, etc... unuseable. Also, previous damage from an accident ment the replacemant of both quarters and the rear panels.

The 03 Cobra was bought used with less than 5000 miles.

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.
180 Out opined

i disagree in principle - and I've seen a lot of kluged modding as well as "superclean" houses that some thought were really cool and I thought were like sewing silk sleeves on a football jersey

Making it look production COULD be just as artful... NOW I'll look at it and see if I also disagree with you in this case.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns9560CEC2E77ABkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

In fact...I think having this on a motorized rotisserie and auto-opening hood would be a hoot!

65 right side up, new upside down

I'm for making it look like a prod car, all the spaghetti, just neatly done.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi TS 28

The whole concept is to make the car look as if it were produced by SVT. All of the new metal we are adding is being formed in an attempt to duplicate factory tooling. We were just talking about this the other day....

We thought it would be cool if we altered the metal work. We could change the design so that the overlapping sections of folded metal created a design that looks like interweaving flames. In the engine bay we could work all the edges in the same flame pattern. We could even cut running horses into the flame design.

We are even waiting a week before ordering the parts cut to let this idea soak in. It would not affect the appearance from the outside. In fact you would only see it if you were under the car or hood.

AAUUGGG!!!!

I cannot make up my mind.

There are so many things we can do, but they do not fit the original theme.

What do you all think???

As far as the wiring goes, I think the 03 Cobra engine bay is very clean. I am not going to just put the old harnesses back in place. I am cleaning an re-wrapping the entire harness. I will use all the factory pieces, but I will make them better than new.

Look at the shot of the detailed trans on the Horsepowered site and tell me that the harness does not look very clean.

Thanks for the input. This is a very complex project and I can use all the input I can get.

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

I am SO green with envy... I have this daydream involving winning the lottery and something very similar to what you're doing.

You need a full website and a scribe! This is outstanding!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi BM,

Where do you live??? You are always welcome to lend a hand. :-)

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

Robert Julian Jr. opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

In Cols Ohio... too remote and unable to do it justice I'm afraid.

Where are you, in case I ever get to your area?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I live in the Chicago, IL area (far western burbs).

Anyone from this group, ever wishing to stop by, will always be welcome.

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

Hi All,

I have just posted some photos of the engine detailing at the horsepowered forum.

Follow the link below to view the shots

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to