Starter for Windsor 393 stroker

Good day all,

I am interested in purchasing one of Ford Racing's starters for a Windsor 393 stroker. The two that I'm looking at are P/N M-11000-A50 or

B50. Can anyone comment on whether I would require the A50 or B50 for this engine? The compression ratio is approx 10.7:1. Is anyone currently using one of these starters and if so, how is it performing? Would you recommend purchasing or is one of the other units from another manufacture a better choice?

Thanks for any comments

Reply to
khobra

I'm using the A50 on my 427W. 10:1 compression, no problems. Works just fine. But I have a big cam and live at high altitude. So my cylinder pressures are not that high. If you have a moderate cam, and live near sea level, I'd use the B50.

Reply to
.boB

Thanks for the reply .boB Not sure what you consider a big cam but my specs are as follows: Hydraulic Flat tappet Duration 236 @ 0.050" Lift .523" Altitude - approx 750 ft Does that sound like I may require the B50?

Tom

Reply to
khobra

We have a 460 with 14.5 to 1 compression that runs low 9's. It has a stock moving pole Ford starter on it. We had a mini starter on it and it worked well. One day it died at the drags so we ran down to the nearest Checker and bought a rebuilt regular 460 starter. Been in there over a year with no problems.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

You'de probably do fine with the A50. But if the cost is the same (or pretty close) no reson not to step up to the B50.

Reply to
.boB

Unfortunately the cost difference is considerable, which is the reason for this discussion. In canadian dollars the difference is approx $120.00 including all taxes.

Tom

Reply to
khobra

I would use the A50.

Reply to
.boB

Thnaks for your input .boB, much appreciated. Looks like I'll be buying the A50. Based on your setup and experience it sounds like it will do just fine.

Tom

Reply to
khobra

Thanks for your input Al. This combination is in an '81 Mustang with limited space. I could really use the extra clearance which the mini starter would provide. The current starter was used when installed a year ago and has begun causing starting problems (heavy drag) when hot. I will be replacing it as soon as it's pulled out of winter storage and the mini starter is what I had in mind because of the aformentioned reason. The last thing I need is the car not starting in the staging lanes, not to mention the local cruise night. Speaking of your car and starter, yours has the solenoid mounted on the starter, correct? By the way, what's the 460 sitting in?

Reply to
khobra

Hey .boB, tell me more about this '65 Cobra. Sounds interesting!

Reply to
khobra

Oh, it's my pride and joy. Spent almost 4 years putting it together. You can find some photos here:

Factory Five Racing kit, 427W, 8 stack Momar EFI, Haltech computer, 290 Comp Cams roller, Dart heads, Tremec TKO, 3.55 Detroit TruTrac, IRS, giant BFG's, Ford Lazer Red Tint with ghost flames. Havn't been to the drag strip yet. But it will run the infield road course at PPIR in less than 60 sec. Top speed is about 125-130, limited by aerodynamics. It's a lot of fun. And it's the best looking car in three counties. Of course, I could be a little biased about that ;)

Reply to
.boB

Funny you would ask that. I had a 460 powered Maverick with a solenoid on the starter. Looked like a GM starter but it was Ford. The car I was talking about in my reply has a regular Ford starter with no solenoid on it. They have a pole piece that moves to engage the starter drive. That 460 is in a Camaro:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That's a real sweet ride Bob, you have a lot to be proud of. I for one can appreciate the work that went into building that beauty. Wishing you many hours of enjoyment in and out of the seat of that piece.

Mine is not nearly the work of art as yours but is still a lot of fun. It's an '81 Mustang which I built into a street strip piece. I've only had it on the road for part of last summer and to the track a few times. There's still some tuning to do but the best ET so far is 12.53 @ 109 MPH. To lower the ET is not the priority at this time. I need to splash it with a new coat of paint as it is still wearing its original coat with a few primer spots where we did some minor body work. I have some pics and when I have some time I'll post them to a site and let you know.

Later........Tom

Reply to
khobra

I'm familiar with both starters you are speaking of and both work very well. The best part I like about your post is reading that you have this combination in a Cheby. I'll bet you get some interesting comments when people see the blue oval engine in that engine bay. What year would this Camaro happen to be?

An acquaintance of mine is currently in the process of installing a bow tie in an '81 Mustang to run the 1/4 mile with. I won't call him a friend because friends just don't do those kind of things :-) LOL

Anyway, it's late, must get some sleep.

Later......

Reply to
khobra

".boB" wrote

Where do you live?!?! I'm in Aurora near Cherry Creek Reservoir. I've got friends who run up in Erie at CNS.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I live in the Springs. As you know, just about every track in CO is closed. The only thing left is Pueblo. We have a track date there next month with NASA. Supposed to be a very fast track. I'm really looking foreword to it.

Reply to
.boB

".boB" wrote

The Solo 2 guys up here are setting up some dates out at one of the huge parking lots at DIA. I'm thinking of taking the '69 just to see what it'll do. I'm not gonna try to compete with the Neon crowd though, just gonna have fun. I know I could teach'em a thing or two in a straight line though. ;)

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I thought about giving that a try. It would be fun. But not enough high speed seat time. With Solo II you spend the entire day out there, and get about 20 minutes of seat time. I'll get at least 2 hours of real high speed time at the track next month. Maybe more. I get so much time, I have to carry extra fuel with me. I guess I don't really care about organized competition. But I do love to drive fast :)

Reply to
.boB