Tach redline

My '71 Grande with 351C 4V (M-code) has an 8000 RPM tach with no redline. What is the theoretical redline or should I drive it until the lifters float? Also, were is max torque and HP?

Thanks

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

The redline is mostly dependant on the valve train. Hydraulic flat tappet lifters and single valve springs will start to float at around 6K-6.2K. With age and miles, that number drops.

Reply to
.boB

you may overdrive accessories.

Reply to
Dr.Moria

Good point! Would not want the power steering to go out at redline.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

I blew out the AC Clutch one time at 6,000 that way for about 10 sec. (which was not intentional to go that high)

1993 5.0 8#
Reply to
Dr.Moria