The High Cost Of Replacement Parts > Why?

Called around to check prices on a few parts I'm replacing.

Here are my local Ford dealer's prices:

1) Air Idle Control Valve - $101.09 2) EGR - $161.03 3) EGR Position Sensor - $59.44

Here's are Discount Auto Parts' prices on the same parts:

1) $54.00 2) $74.00 3) $25.99

Now I have to ask:

- Are the Ford parts THAT much better? Okay, I know on some things it's best to get original parts, but is this true on emission control pieces and sensors? After all, they all have to meet the same EPA standards.

- Why do manufacturers/dealers mark up the prices on parts so damn high? What's the thinking here? I know the dealers like to rape you on parts prices when your car is being serviced by them, but seems they'd be cutting their own throat when a do-it-yourselfer calls for prices.

- Don't these astronomical factory prices make a LOT of room for the aftermarket to build solid quality replacement parts? I mean come on... most factory stuff these days are made in Mexico and similar countries anyways, aren't they? It's not like the maunufacturer's are paying a ton more to build their parts than the aftermarket companies, right? Anyone care to answer these questions and clear this up?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

Dealers generally don't want the do-it-yourselfer business is my guess.

Reply to
Brent P

at 19 Feb 2004, Patrick [ snipped-for-privacy@aol.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I dunno if they are on all parts but judging from experience it seems they are on some. I had to replace the above stuff on my V6 a while back. I used Ford parts as with our club discount they turned out to be cheaper/same price as 3rd party equivalent parts...

The price for the EGR sensor sounds a bit high though. (checking paperwork) Ok for my 95 V6, list prices are:

FOTZ9J459A EGR sensor $31.60 F4SZ9D475A EGR assemby $68.91 F4ZZ9J460B EGR press sensor $75.78

I paid about $50 less than that for the combo.This was in July 2002.

Reply to
Paul

Rein
** - Are the Ford parts THAT much better?

I didn't think so for a very long time. We kept replacing things over and over on the pickup, and I got tired of this foolish-economy, and sprung for OEM parts.

What a difference! I now pretty much refer to aftermarket parts as 'junk'. when I replace a part, I expect it to last as long as the original. Replacing OEM with aftermarket junk won't even come close. I've even purchased rebuilt OEM parts from Ford, and found them to be as good in quality as new.

I'm one of those guys who ended up having to replace a heater core three times. After buying aftermarket junk twice that failed in less than one year, that OEM part started looking pretty damn good. Eight years later, it's still working perfectly, and even though the OEM part was $20 bucks more, it was a very good decision.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks for the advice, JD! I decided to spring for the OEM parts.

Still there's a huge price gap between the two. Seems the aftermarket could raise their prices a bit to improve the quality and kick OEM butt.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Stick with OEM parts. BUT, only if you need them. Do you have a check engine situation or what???

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Check around a couple of dealers though. They are different believe it or not.

Reply to
Brent P

at 20 Feb 2004, Brent P [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:VZpZb.86166$jk2.433935@attbi_s53:

Agreed! When I was looking for centercaps I called both Brandon Ford and Ernie Haire Ford here in Tampa for quotes and one was $29.95 a piece, the other $32.95 a piece for the exact same part.

Reply to
Paul

Yes, the check engine light was flickering. I thought at first it was the O2s (before the computer registered a code), but once a code popped up it said EGR.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

Did you try cleaning the EGR pintle and valve seat first???

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Maybe it's like ink-jet printers? They make nothing on the cars, and everything on the parts.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard
** Check around a couple of dealers though. They are different believe it ** or not.

I've seen a huge difference in price between OEM suppliers. I always compare

3 or 4 local outfits and go with the lowest. On top of that, I know a guy locally who usually offers me 20% off their list if they get the business.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I did. But then I figured it's only money, so I bought new without seeing if the cleaning worked. Doesn't make sense maybe, but then the Discount Auto Parts person couldn't figure out why I wanted to buy OEM at double the price. You know how it is though... you expect your car to run extremely good so you only give it the best.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Ok, your call. Now, how does the IAC valve play into this. Erratic idle going on as well??? Two separate issues??? I take it these parts aren't installed yet??? Too many questions??? Must be the Dunkin Donut coffee I'm inhaling...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

inhaling...

No, you have it right. I just wanted to change out the IAC while I was working in that TB/EGR area of the car. But, I decided to wait on the IAC.

I buttoned up everything thing last night. Took it for a ride tonight. The car runs great again.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Well Ford doesn't make most of the parts you buy anyway, they subcontract those out to TRW / Federal Mogul, Beck Arnley, Bosch, AC Delco and a myriad of other sources. They just get the subcontractor to put their logo on it and put it in a logo box.

That said there are usually different versions of many replacement parts, an econo version and a premium version. Parts stores thrive on being cheap and will sell you the econo without asking. They usually can order premium parts too.

Now with that said, Ford dealers vary in price considerably, and so do all other dealers. I can usually buy parts and pay shipping for OEM parts from TX for less than I pay at a dealer in WA. Ford has two prices in their computer system, list price (what you typically pay) and their real cost. WA state dealers actually charge above list price! Yes, more than list price. It's as simple as setting up your computer software with a percentage multiplier. Many dealers (ones that sell lots of parts anyway) will sell parts at 20% over cost. On my Miata this resulted in a savings of

50% on a front turn signal lense and rear taillight assembly. It ended up being less than salvage parts. That is from Mazda South in Austin, TX. Southwest Ford in TX sells OEM Ford parts for a lot less than any dealership around here. It saved me about $15 buying a heat core for a Fox stang from them instead of someone else. Tax and shipping are usually a wash on most items for me. Their website is oemfordparts.com of course.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

AnthonyS,

Thank you!! I'll check them out next time.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick