Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

Does anyone know where I can find the instructions for replacing the EGR valve in a 96 Explorer V8? None of the typical manuals (Chiltons, Haynes) cover the V8 in enough detail for this to be included.
Thanks. - Dave
Reply to
Dave Horoschak
manual. On page 6-26 is a pretty detailed procedure for R&R of the valve.
You only need to remove 2 bolts, a vacuum hose and the pipe retaining nut. You might need to tap on the valve to break it loose. Once it's out, remove the old gasket material. If the mounting flange is dirty, clean it with some fine steel wool.
Use a new gasket (should come with the new valve). Replace the bolts, vac hose and pipe, tighten everything up, and you're done.
Good luck, Kevin
Reply to
Kevin D
Yes - that's the same one I have. That section only covers the V6. The whole EGR system on the V8 that I have is considerably different. - Dave
Reply to
Dave Horoschak
Yes, you're correct - I assumed that the valve would be the same regardless of engine. I'm surprised that it is different. I've replaced EGR valves on my cars starting with a '78 Chevy that I bought new, and they've all been essentially the same - two bolts at the base, and a vac line to the diaphragm. Not all have had a pipe, tho.
Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin D
I had my EGR valve, EGR sensor and the Vaccum control valve on my 96 V8 Explorer replaced by the dealer and it cost over $300. I felt ripped off. Since I requested my original parts to be saved, I feel confident in doing it myself next time.
The following the is the procedure that I would use. Buy parts or examine the parts used. From this examination it can be seen that the EGR sensor mounts on the back of the EGR value by three small nuts. Before starting I WOULD DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST. I would carefully remove these three nuts first and then remove the electrical connector from the sensor(because it is held top and bottom by the electrical connector?s slip clips, I see that I can?t easily get to the lower clip when the sensor is mounted on the back of the EGR Valve). Although the quarters are tight, the bottom retaining bolt or nut on the EGR Valve should be now be accessible with either a universal joint/socket combination or a special purpose wrench. After removing the EGR valve and cleaning the surface. The installation of a new EGR could be done in reverse order. I would attach the electrical cable to the EGR sensor after it is mounted to the back of the EGR valve. This way should allow me more room to install the three small EGR sensor nuts. Although, I haven?t performed the above installation myself this is the approach I would use if my EGR valve needs replacement again.
Reply to
Frank
I need to clean my EGR valve because it is blocked. Im not sure where it is under my hood but this is the most similar part compared to most others.
So, is this my EGR Valve?
Reply to
phoeneous
No it is not, that part is a vaccum operated water valve for the heater.
On 14 Mar 2005 19:34:56 -0500, phoeneous wrote:
Reply to
Fred 2
[img:ed9294cd90]

[img:ed9294cd90]

[img:ed9294cd90]
Phoneous, I have a 96 Explorer 5.0L V8. Although your layout is different, it looks close enough to mine to assume the valve?s location is the same. In your third picture look at the nut that is approximately three inches down from the end of your transmission check dip stick and directly in front of it. That is the top nut which attaches the EGR valve to the extreme corner of your intake manifold on the passenger side as shown in your picture(On mine there is also a lower attaching nut.). The nut is also right next to your EGR vaccum control valve. This is the round black plastic unit with the six slotted cutouts, which from your picture is approximately two to three inches to the right of the red wire. Assuming that your EGR valve is at least visually the same as mine, there should be a plastic EGR valve sensor attached to the back of your EGR valve with an electrical cable attached. If you are going to clean it only you might want to buy a new gasket for your re-installing it. If you still have trouble identifying it I suggest a visit to your Ford and ask to examine one. Good luck.
Reply to
Frank
Forgot to mention, see that curved silver painted elbow-like part in the first and third picture? That part is called an "EGR Spacer" the EGR valve is mounted on the backside of that part facing the firewall
On 14 Mar 2005 19:34:56 -0500, phoeneous wrote:
Reply to
Fred 2
So, thats not my EGR valve circled in the first picture? Ill have to look again but I couldnt find anything that resembles the description you gave me. Can you take a pic of yours?
Reply to
phoeneous
Phoeneous,
I don?t have a picture of my installation. What is the make and year of your vehicle? With this info I can look up the part nos. for your EGR Valve and the EGR Valve Position Sensor that mounts on the back of it (assuming yours is the same as mine). If the parts number are the same as mine I can give you a website which shows actual views of the parts. Even if yours aren?t the same as mine and if views are available for your vechile, I will provide you the info for locating the views so you can use them to locate the parts on your vehicle.
The unit that you circled on your first picture is most likely a part of your heating system, because it looks like its attached to the heater hoses, as in my vehicle.
Reply to
Frank
Go the the URL below and look at the 2 scans and the captions below them
On 15 Mar 2005 16:18:48 -0500, phoeneous
Reply to
Fred 2
Phoenous,
You need to state the year and make of your vehicle. For instance the EGR valve in my 96 Explorer 5.0L looks like the info that I provided you and applies to my year and make. My car?s ianstallation is also like the info Fred2 provided you. However, for instance, at the site
which I previously provided you, it lists two different Ford(Motorcraft) Valve Part Nos. for a 97 Explorer 5.0L and they are significantly different. One is exactly like mine and the other is very different and doesn?t use an EGR valve position sensor.
For your vehicle, you must look at this site and determine which one you have. Hopely, yours is like the second one and not like mine. First the second one is smaller, half the price and doesn?t require an EGR valve position sensor.
Fred has shown you where on your intake manifold it is and you need to compare yours to the 97 example that I gave to determine which one your vehicle has.
Reply to
Frank
Thank you to everyone who posted pics and provided information. I finally got this finished, though it was tough getting the bottom nut back on the EGR valve.
In the process, I noticed that one of the lines that runs to the canister attached to the EGR spacer (vapor control solenoid?) was cracked and broken. I managed to get it reconnected. My question is - what does this part do? One line is connected to the EGR valve. I wasn't able to trace the broken one. Am I liable to run into future problems because of this?
Thanks again. - Dave
Reply to
Dave Horoschak