The New GT500 Is Freakin' Quick!

The lucky guys over at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords have just
published a new story on their inside access to the development of the
2013 Shelby GT500. We earlier showed you a similar story from Road &
Track, but while that article focused mostly on the handling
improvements developed on the N=FCrburgring, this story from MM&FF goes
into detail about how Ford has made the 2013 Shelby GT500 even faster
at the dragstrip.
Similar to our overview of the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8, MM&FF
gives a nice overview of the engine changes to the Shelby GT500 for
2013. What really interested us, though, are the details regarding the
all new launch control system. An advanced version of the one featured
in the 2012 Boss 302, the launch control system allows the driver to
set a specific launch rpm, and combined with an advanced traction
control system will allow the car to launch with virtually no slip.
MM&FF got to experience the system at work and says that =93after seeing
the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of
even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.=94 That=92s saying something, since
editor Evan Smith is an experienced drag racer capable of getting the
fastest times out of any car.
Ford also stated that the system is capable of adapting to a wide
range of variables. =93It works in real time and changes with
conditions,=94 says Dan Dunn, an engineer who worked on the 2013 Shelby
GT500. =93It will adapt to changes in gearing within reason, and to many
performance modification,=94
So what can we expect as far as 1/4 mile times from the 2013 Shelby
GT500? MM&FF estimates that =93the 650hp GT500 will be capable of
running 11.70s to 11.60s at well above 120 mph in bone-stock trim. In
optimal conditions, perhaps quicker and faster. And with 4.30s and
sticky tires, low 11s or even 10s could be possible.=94
Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84
How come a Dodge Dart with a Hemi could do high 10's in the late 1960's with a motor only rated at 425 gross horsepower? A Thunderbolt with a 427 could do mid 11's. None of them claimed to have 650hp which translated is probably 720 gross h.p. in the old system.
Reply to
Scammed Public
How come a Dodge Dart with a Hemi could do high 10's in the late 1960's with a motor only rated at 425 gross horsepower? A Thunderbolt with a 427 could do mid 11's. None of them claimed to have 650hp which translated is probably 720 gross h.p. in the old system.

Reply to
biofilm

Site Timeline Threads