The "500" In GT500 means 500 Horsepower

2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

Ford Shelby GT500 officially rated at 500 horsepower, 25 horsepower higher than preliminary estimates. The Shelby GT500 will go on sale this summer with more horsepower than any previous factory-built Mustang.

(DEARBORN, MI) TheGT500Source.com - The most powerful factory-built Mustang ever just got even more potent. Final certification testing of the Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce

500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque - 25 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.

"With 500 hp and the Shelby name, this car is an instant legend," said Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation & SVT programs. "This is the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever."

The Ford Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a result of Ford's experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10 engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford GT engine.

The 500 hp rating was obtained using the Society of Automotive Engineer's latest standard and was witnessed by an objective third party. The Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 will be built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mich. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

The right to purchase the first 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 was auctioned for $600,000, with the proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 goes on sale this summer.

Technical Specifications Type V-8 Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with Roots-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler Exhaust manifold Cast iron Crankshaft Forged steel Throttle Body Dual 60 mm, electronic Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm; Exhaust: 32.0 mm Pistons Forged aluminum Connecting Rods Cracked forged steel I-beams Ignition Coil-on-plug Bore x stroke

3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc Horsepower 500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified) Torque 480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified) Compression ratio 8.4:1 Redline 6,250 rpm Idle Speed in Neutral 750 rpm Engine control system Spanish Oak PCM Required fuel Premium Fuel Injection Electronic returnless sequential Oil capacity / type 6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil Coolant capacity 21 quarts Peak Boost 9 psi

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Can you please post a link with the article? Thanks!

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Reply to
NoOption5L

Odd that it's rated at exactly 500hp.

If it's like the old 5.0 Mustangs, the horsepower is probably more like 492, rounded up to 500.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Only the 5.0s dispalcement was rounded up. It's horsepower was spot on, and in the early cars -- '87-'88s -- it was under-rated a bit.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Hopefully, more like the '03-'04 Cobras, the horsepower is probably more like

525, rounded *down* to 500. :)

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Yeah, I know. It wasn't exactly an apples-to-apples allegory, but the best I could come up with. Without any effort.

And today, I'm embarrassed to tell anyone that my 5.0 is rated at 205HP.

205! In today's market, that's not exactly bragging material, so why is my poor old 5.0 Mustang still seemingly the benchmark for performance?

Now, seems like every yahoo with a new six-cylinder family car (most rated at much more than 205HP) wants to take on the big, bad 5.0.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Just remember a few facts. After the Mustang started the new Pony war with the hp in the 80's (82-87 increased hp nearly every year), car insurance companies could have made these cars unattainable if Ford continued to increase hp at the rate it was going hence the 87-93 no significant improvements other then the addition of the Cobra in that last year. Ford and the aftermarket suppliers provided enough punch to the enthusiasts making it a successful tuner car. It took sometime for manufacturers to obtain similar hp ratings in mainstream family automobiles as you suggested. In fact Ford may have some credit in that area as well with the Taurus SHO. Another noteable detail the 4cyl turbo SVO motor made more hp liter then many of todays vehicles. That lil '85.5 2.3L produced 205hp (89hp per liter) compare to the '03 4.6L Cobra s/c at 390hp (84.78hp per liter). Comparably that 2.3l with same displacement would be rated at 410hp!

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Because it's a legend. ;-)

The bad thing is many are nearly as strong. We need to do something (add some HP) soon!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

That is why they make superchargers. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

...and the 2006 model.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

dwight, Dwight, DWIGHT... ever since you got back, you've wanted that GT. Well, as I remember, ever since the new models came out. I know how you feel, and wish you luck in making your decisions. Phoenix was a "taste of honey" not the "beehive" Whatever you decide, enjoy.

BTW. Super photos of the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Brings back many fond memories of life before the family was "small enough" to have a Mustang... Thanks for sharing them :)

Reply to
nobody

That works too unless you have a taste for nostalgia.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

It's true. I'm torn. I "think" I'd really enjoy a new GT, but I'm not eager to part with either of the '93s - well, the GT convertible, anyway. Even though it's (by comparison) heavy, slow, and aging, we've bonded. I know I have to bite that bullet one day soon and sell it off, but it's going to hurt.

Having tasted the "honey" of a six cylinder automatic, I cannot imagine the "beehive" that is the GT. Before I dive in, I'm really going to have to spend a day with one... My birthday is coming up.

Believe me, it's my pleasure. I just yesterday picked up two new lenses for this Rebel XT, lenses I WISH I had for the Phoenix trip! My photography bug is getting out of control. I asked a friend, when did I become such a geek, and she said, "Become?"

dwight

***
Reply to
dwight

ROFMLAO

Poor guy, "become" ??? that's such a "wife's" accusation LOL Mine does it to me all the time. I try to "outsmart" her by thinking of "closing" all the loopholes and when I get in my "smirk assuredness" that she won't outsmart me, she deep sixes me when I least expect it... I know, but I do love it (or at least tolerate it with a smile) over and over again... I think they call that love... Speaking of love, the GT is "to die for" when compared with the V6. Mine is a "honey" of a car, a "beehive" when I get "stoopid" and awsome to drive, not because it's the meanest or fastest on the asphalt, but because there's a "love affair" with my youth that I just plain enjoy when I'm behind the wheel.

Hmmmm, if I dressed it in white, put a veil on it and bought a ring..... ROFLMAO

Reply to
nobody

Consider yourself lucky. At least you won't have to pay alimony. 8-)

Reply to
Ritz

Speaking of the photo bug, while putzing around the yard this afternoon a P51 Mustang flew over(I live at the end of a runway) headed for the Chester county airport. So I grabbed the camera and headed up there but by the time I got there it had been taken off the flight line and housed damn! I got a few pics of some other WWII planes but not the one I wanted. I left word and an email addy for the owner operater to give me a yell if he would oblige me with a Photo op. I'd like to have a pic of my 96 and the P51 side by side.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Good luck! Now there'll be a mile-long line of Mustang on the taxiway, all wanting the same photo op. You should keep these things to yourself.

For $1.00, I'll Photoshop your Mustang next to a P51...

:()

Reply to
dwight

I know its a "long drive" (but in your "new pony" it would definitely be a 'break-in trip" In Harlingen, TX, near Houston, the Confederate Air Force has several P51's. They fly often, and are based out of there when not flying airshows around the country.

Also, There's a "fighter pilot training program" (for civilians) in FL, but Im not sure exactly where, that flies P51's for "profit" There, not only could you get a pix of your mustang with one of those, but you could "saddle up" on one of the 300MPH ones as well... Point it straight down and it'll cause you to have to clean your stable when the ride's over LOL

Reply to
nobody

If you get a chance, you can even try to get a ride in one of the replica Thunder Mustangs. They perform better than the original in almost every area and are actually affordable for non-bazillionaires. That's actually my next project after the oft-delayed 428cj cobra kit...

Too bad more people don't work with replicas like this instead of beating the crap out of old irreplaceable warbirds. 8-(

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz